ARRRGGGGHHH! opinions needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wright4lfe

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK-

well, i bought a pair of german blue rams for a 20gl tank i have setup in my bedroom. i bought the fish from a lfs that i don't normally shop at (first mistake). when i bought the fish i asked him to bag them separately in case they were a pair of agressive malesm he told me not to worry that even if they were males they wouldn't fight each other. i took his word for it and let him bag them together (second mistake). upon getting home (about a 15 minute drive) and putting the fish in quarantine i discovered that one of the rams is missing an eye (had both when i left). after calling the lfs and letting them know what happened i asked them if i could get an exchange. they said the don't exchange damaged fish and that i should have insisted that the fish had been bagged separately.

now my first question is this: will the fish's eye grow back, or am i left with a fish that has no depth perception (its joke...)?

second question: should i call the better business bureau and report them...for what, i don't know...lol

i guess i'm just frustrated because this is probably the last tank i will buy for awhile and i wanted the german blue rams to kinda be the centerpiece of my tank collection...and now one of my boys is half blind.

what do you guys/girls think?

Spread the word to everyone you know about that lfs. Don't be afraid to name names and places. :evil: I hate that. I've had fish regrow fins, but an eye is another thing. I don't know. :?

I would take the fish back to the store and tell them they are going to replace the fish. If they dont except fish with a damaged eye how about the other one thats fine?? I definately would confront the owner about this issue. The squeaky wheel gets the grease in this case. You let that employee get away with this god only knows what hell try to get away with at a later date. Go back find the owner and tell them exactly what happend. If the owner thinks its in his best interest to side with the employees and not the customers requests then its time to go to another fish shop. I might even take the fish back in set them in the owners lap and say have a nice day &&$^%%#!!

If all else, you have an eye-less german blue ram... it gives him character =o)

and you can tell the two apart

and if ur friends go "what happened to his eye?" you can tellthem crazy stories like "He lost it in Vietnam" or something

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade... and squeeze lemon juice in the eyes of the LFS employees! ha- kidding

If that doesn't appease you, call the Better Business Bureu and ask what you can do in that situation. Call the manager and talk to them.. and tell them you have already spoken tot he BBB and that "this and that will happen" if you report them, which you will do... feel free to fib a little if the BBB doesn't help much =o)

good luck!

go back to that store and cause some ordeal. Get the manager and the employee together, bring the fish and everything. Get the satisfaction you require. Personally i would stop everyone outside the store all day and let them know what happened (as forementioned) and i would also demand the fish be replaced. You start standing outside and you will see some managers react pretty fast as they probably won't want to loose any customers at all. You know there are some stats: happy customers tell 1-2 people of the good experience whereas unhappy poeple tell 15-20 people of the bad experience. You spread the word and it wil get out. That being said "don't go to Big Al's in Calgary, THEY SUCK!!!"

I'd try and warn people, but still give the little guy a good home. Not too many people will want a one-eyed fish.

The BBB only has influence over buisness's that are enrolled with them. so i doubt a local fish store is going to be.

Keep the guy, his eye will never grow back, but hes pretty cool still, you shouldnt try to get rid of em because hes hurt

OK, I hate to keep passing out my words of wisdom but here goes..........

I always start any negotiation that I feel will be difficult with the following statement: "There is no problem that can't be solved as long as both parties are reasonable". These are very dissarming words because right away he/she expects you to be reasonable and they will want to follow suit. It works most of the time.

I would take the fish back and say please listen to my story. I asked for help, I trusted your employee, this is the result. etc. I wouldn't make a federal case out of it, but I wouldn't let it slide either.

BTW, I've a one eyed discus. I think he's great. LOL

BrianNY said:
I always start any negotiation that I feel will be difficult with the following statement: "There is no problem that can't be solved as long as both parties are reasonable". These are very dissarming words because right away he/she expects you to be reasonable and they will want to follow suit. It works most of the time.

I would take the fish back and say please listen to my story. I asked for help, I trusted your employee, this is the result. etc. I wouldn't make a federal case out of it, but I wouldn't let it slide either.
quote]

A true diplomat! I agree with BrianNY. The emotional side of me says, "That sucks! Go DEMAND a resolution!" But who knows, the guy who said they do not replace damaged fish may just be some lackey. You have a good case and any reasonble manager/owner would see that. If they don't, then stand outside the store and reap havoc!

Good luck,

Michelle

kukerdan said:
The BBB only has influence over buisness's that are enrolled with them. so i doubt a local fish store is going to be.

Keep the guy, his eye will never grow back, but hes pretty cool still, you shouldnt try to get rid of em because hes hurt

The BBB will deal with any buisness in the U.S.

"FILE A COMPLAINT:
If you think that a company or charity has treated you unfairly, file a complaint online. We will contact the organization to help resolve the issue. "

thanks for all the info. i don't have enough time to be protesting out in front of businesses (father of a 16 month old, partner in a mortgage firm), so i just contacted the BBB and let them go to work. the fish has a great home and having a fish with only one is funny, he makes me thankful for my eyesight every morning when i wake up (the tank is next to my bed...)

but once again, thanks for the advice....

That being said "don't go to Big Al's in Calgary, THEY SUCK!!!"

Now I must ask (you knew this was coming) I go to the local Big Als here (Oakville and Hamilton) and have never had a problem, the fish are in good spirits, the guy will usually throw in a couple extras (I order 8, he gives me 9 and one has a gimpy fin that usually heals but doesn't sell well) hence the 14 blue tetras instead of 12 :) and the one in oakville there are some guys there that are absolutely excellent, I guess this isn't a franchise wide thing, what's happened that's bad there in Calgary? (I might end up moving out that way sometime in the future)

Oh, and I think a healed fish with unique attributes (if it doesn't bug him then don't let it bug you) is pretty cool in a tank. but still stake a claim so if he succumbs to the injury then you have a recourse.

Back
Top Bottom