Black Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferret

Aquarium Advice Addict
The lfs currently has a tank, which they've only had for about a month, labelled Black oscar.

It looks just like a tiger oscar, but a bit smaller (at least in the store). Its all black, with what seem to be longer fins and a more 'jagged' or spikey look to the fins. Its has slightly lighter patterns like a tiger.

Does anyone have any information? I can't get many google results, and the few I find seem to just mention it in passing with no real information.

Probably a tiger I've seen some very dark ones. How can it be a bit smaller. smaller than an adult or oscar fry?

Merely smaller than the other tanks of oscars they keep. Might be younger, not sure. These are still at least 2 inches. The other tanks are upwards to 4in

I dunno...call me suspicious, but oscars usually don't have jagged fins like that do they...I'd wonder if they were suffering from fin rot...

Oh ok. Not familiar with the more...exotic? LOL breeds of oscars. Tho, that tilapia also looks like he has fin probs ;)

The younger the oscar, the darker the coloration. I suspect it is just a young tiger oscar. Until I looked at the pic, I thought maybe you had found a veil-tail oscar. They do exist but I've only seen them in books. They have a tail that resembles the tail of an angel rather than the normal rounded tail.

we have a few long finned oscars here, the anal and dorsal fin flow back to a point. Nice but in their world its just asking for a fight.

I got another look at these today, let me see if this is a better description.

Their fins look about the same as other oscars (Tiger, Red, Albino Tiger). They're very dark. The lighter patterned bands resemble a tiger's, but are a silverish/goldish tint, a little shiny.

Google searches, I can find online stores that sell them, but no direct information on how they might differ from other Oscars.

Back
Top Bottom