Oscar fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betaton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve noticed that my Copper Red Oscar fish has some missing pieces from his fins and a slight white tint around the edges around his fins along with some spots that look like they have been almost bit off. He is currently around 3-4 inches and is housed in a 75 gallon with six other small silver dollars and a small bichir. I was thinking it might be fin rot. Anybody able to tell me what is happening?

I’ve noticed that my Copper Red Oscar fish has some missing pieces from his fins and a slight white tint around the edges around his fins along with some spots that look like they have been almost bit off. He is currently around 3-4 inches and is housed in a 75 gallon with six other small silver dollars and a small bichir. I was thinking it might be fin rot. Anybody able to tell me what is happening?
A picture would make it easier to tell you. It could be bite marks from the silver dollars.

Is there any way to add a picture from IPhone?
I'm not sure but if you are accessing this site from your phone, there should be. Below this comment section will be a section that says " Attach Files". Click on Manage attachments and then choose file and then follow the path to your picture.

I'm not sure but if you are accessing this site from your phone, there should be. Below this comment section will be a section that says " Attach Files". Click on Manage attachments and then choose file and then follow the path to your picture.

Okay, I think I got it.

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 14
As I suspected, the white(ish) at the edge of the fins is normal not fungus The tail looks as if it were bitten so I would suspect the Silver Dollars for doing that vs the bichir. For the time being, if you can separate the tank so that the Oscar is on one side and the Dollars and bichir are on the other side and keep the water clean, those wounds should heal on their own. If you notice any redness or fuzzyness at the wound sites, the fish would need to go into a hospital tank and be treated with whichever antibiotic is appropriate for your water conditions. If using a divider is not possible, you'd need to rehome either the Dollars or the Oscar as they can't stay together.

Possible reasons for the Dollars chewing on the Oscar include improper diet or not enough food/ feedings. Silver Dollars will do better with small feedings throughout the day vs one larger feeding once or twice a day. The Oscar, depending on what you are feeding it, may only need a feeding once a day if you are feeding live foods or if you house say, smaller food fish for him to eat at his desire. If you are feeding dried foods, they are best fed in small amounts multiple times during the day as well so the fish does not get overfed or constipated.

Hope this helps. (y)

As I suspected, the white(ish) at the edge of the fins is normal not fungus The tail looks as if it were bitten so I would suspect the Silver Dollars for doing that vs the bichir. For the time being, if you can separate the tank so that the Oscar is on one side and the Dollars and bichir are on the other side and keep the water clean, those wounds should heal on their own. If you notice any redness or fuzzyness at the wound sites, the fish would need to go into a hospital tank and be treated with whichever antibiotic is appropriate for your water conditions. If using a divider is not possible, you'd need to rehome either the Dollars or the Oscar as they can't stay together.

Possible reasons for the Dollars chewing on the Oscar include improper diet or not enough food/ feedings. Silver Dollars will do better with small feedings throughout the day vs one larger feeding once or twice a day. The Oscar, depending on what you are feeding it, may only need a feeding once a day if you are feeding live foods or if you house say, smaller food fish for him to eat at his desire. If you are feeding dried foods, they are best fed in small amounts multiple times during the day as well so the fish does not get overfed or constipated.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks for your help Andy, I think I’ll start spreading out feedings during the day in smaller amounts. Also, does the Oscar need to be permanently separated or just until the wounds heel?

Thanks for your help Andy, I think I’ll start spreading out feedings during the day in smaller amounts. Also, does the Oscar need to be permanently separated or just until the wounds heel?
At this point, I wouldn't put the fish together until the Oscar is fully healed. Once healed and the feeding is more frequent, you can try and see if they will leave him alone but if not, then yes, permanently. :(

At this point, I wouldn't put the fish together until the Oscar is fully healed. Once healed and the feeding is more frequent, you can try and see if they will leave him alone but if not, then yes, permanently. :(

Ok will do. Again, thanks so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom