Blue dolphins fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chicklet_lady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 150 gal African Cichlid tank. I had 1 blue dolphin approx 4-5" long and is generally peaceful. Yesterday I introduced a few new fish to the tank, including another blue dolphin which is approx the same size but a bit more of a hump on it's head.

Since yesterday these two dolphins are chasing each other pretty intense. That's about it, just chasing but no pecking. Occasionally they will stop and "smell" each other and then return to chasing.

Can 2 be together? I assumed I have 2 males but how do I know if one is female? Could this be male/female play? Or maybe 2 males fighting for rank? I guess all can b possible but ultimately just wondering if they could work it out or is it discouraged to have two dolphins in tank?

Eventually I will prob need to separate due to size, which is fine as I'll b getting another tank down the road but wanted these two together for a while.

Thanks for any input. I can't find anything on Internet.

Sexing blue dolphins is a tough nut to crack until they start to mature, there's little signs like coloration or length of fins but until they reach maturity venting is the only way to conclusively sex them. Just like any other fish from the region proper male to female ratios must be followed to reduce aggression. Keep a careful eye and be ready to separate or divide quickly.

Determing Your Cichlids' Gender

Back
Top Bottom