Molly aggression and time out tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarbieGrl84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a male molly who was in my 20 gal community tank who was so aggressive he almost killed the other male molly despite having female mollies in the tank as well. Apparently he wanted all the females to himself. Anyways, I moved him in a 5.5 gallon tank and the male molly in the original tank started getting better and I got the male molly in the small tank a female friend. Idk if I should keep the 2 males seperate still or if the ones in the small tank can go in the big tank. I feel really bad they're in the small tank but I don't want any fishocide going on. There's 1 adult female and 1 adult male in the big tank and 3 fry that are a couple months old, believe 2 are female and 1 male along with other fish friends and frogs. Is there enough buddies to keep them from fighting? Will the molly that's introduced go after the male fry? Idk what to do and I feel so guilty with them in a tiny tank. ? Hopefully this wasn't super confusing to read.....

Ive never found that a time out works. Reintoduce the aggressive fish to the main tank and the aggession just starts up again. Only way to know though is to try and see what happens.

I wouldnt long term keep mollies in the timeout tank. Move the female to the main tank, no point keeping 2 fish in an unsuitable environment when only 1 is the issue. Rehome the male. Maybe a fishstore will take him in? If you cant rehome the male, and you can't manage another properly sized aquarium you will have to make a quality of life judgement. Is euthanasia a better option than the quality of life in your small timeout tank?

I agree. I read fish have a memory of a few months so I was debating about just making it the new tank but now idk.

I worry he will be lonely in the tank alone and idk if I could rehome him cuz I love him even though he's a butthead. I get what you're saying though with keeping him in a tank too small which is why I'm stressing. Right now the 2 in the small tank are being treated for slime disease? When I move them in the big tank do I just do what you do when u 1st get a fish assuming since the water parameters are more than likely different? Last question, sorry. Is a 5 gallon ok size for the fries as a grow out tank? I will see what happens when I add them to the big tank and than I guess rehome him if all else fails.... ��
Now last question for real as I'm watching my mollies in the big tank. The adult male in that tank keeps swimming around the section cups of the heater repeatedly, like for a few mins now than will swim off for a second and go right back. Is he bored?

When I move them in the big tank do I just do what you do when u 1st get a fish assuming since the water parameters are more than likely different?

When im moving fish between different tanks, i typically just move them as the water parameters are typically not all that different. Ive never had a problem with that.

The exception would be if im medicating or have aquarium salt in a quarantine tank and moving fish back to the main tank. I normally make sure ive done plenty of water changes to remove all the medication/ salt and the water is back to being clean water first. Then move the fish after a further few days of living in clean water.

So I have a male molly who was in my 20 gal community tank who was so aggressive he almost killed the other male molly despite having female mollies in the tank as well. Apparently he wanted all the females to himself. Anyways, I moved him in a 5.5 gallon tank and the male molly in the original tank started getting better and I got the male molly in the small tank a female friend. Idk if I should keep the 2 males seperate still or if the ones in the small tank can go in the big tank. I feel really bad they're in the small tank but I don't want any fishocide going on. There's 1 adult female and 1 adult male in the big tank and 3 fry that are a couple months old, believe 2 are female and 1 male along with other fish friends and frogs. Is there enough buddies to keep them from fighting? Will the molly that's introduced go after the male fry? Idk what to do and I feel so guilty with them in a tiny tank. ? Hopefully this wasn't super confusing to read.....
Your best bet is to try to rehome any fish that are aggressive. I also agree time outs are a waste of time! I’ve been going through a different issue with my mollies. I ended up with 1 male and he loves ALL my females. One day a tiny baby Molly appeared in my tank lol. All my females are currently pregnant. And I finally found a home for this male! I’ve used him twice as a cycle fish and he survived both times defying all odds! But yea so far with my experience once they turn it doesn’t just go away. It’s basically in their dna. Flight or fight and they choose fight.

Back
Top Bottom