Blue ram purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all I had extra tank and made a impulse buy ( dumb I know) got a pair of blue rams and my water is way high and alkaline for them. Ph is like 7.8. Way high for them. Doing great after couple days and I will watch them closely and try to lower it not drastically and quick. Hindsight I shoulda got Bolivians as I see they are way more hardy and tolerant of water conditions. Anyone have experience keeping them in harder water?

Here they are. Not best pic.

Attachments

• image-170100194.jpg
    image-170100194.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image-4039466987.jpg
    image-4039466987.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 114
My PH is about 7.4-.6 and I have pretty hard water too. No real issues with my rams. I did have a die off when I first got them, but I think that's just because of the stress of the move, went from 9 down to 4 in about 2 weeks time. Now I've had these 4 that are left for about 1.5 months with no issue. Haven't seen any breeding yet, but the lone male is working on finding a female to pair with, so hopefully we'll soon see if the water will have any effect on fry.

I also think you're correct on your m/f assumption. Females have pink on their bellys, which your one does and the other doesnt, and the one I assume is male is too colored up to not have that pink showing.

My PH is about 7.4-.6 and I have pretty hard water too. No real issues with my rams. I did have a die off when I first got them, but I think that's just because of the stress of the move, went from 9 down to 4 in about 2 weeks time. Now I've had these 4 that are left for about 1.5 months with no issue. Haven't seen any breeding yet, but the lone male is working on finding a female to pair with, so hopefully we'll soon see if the water will have any effect on fry.

I also think you're correct on your m/f assumption. Females have pink on their bellys, which your one does and the other doesnt, and the one I assume is male is too colored up to not have that pink showing.

Thanks for the input!

It looks like two females. Sometimes they get along especially if there is no male. So if you add more make sure to pick two males.

Alright they should get along with no males then. That tank sounds under stocked you could defiantly add another school of something in there

Alright they should get along with no males then. That tank sounds under stocked you could defiantly add another school of something in there

Oh you think? I have 5 serpae and 3 lamp eye, the rams and 1 Cory. Want couple more Cory's as he is the most active of all but alone. Any suggestion on additions? Would like something that stays small

Yea you have tons of room. You could go with a school of neons, or another tetra. You could get away with two pairs of rams. Pretty much anything community you like.

Oh you think? I have 5 serpae and 3 lamp eye, the rams and 1 Cory. Want couple more Cory's as he is the most active of all but alone. Any suggestion on additions? Would like something that stays small

Lol. I had to move my 8 serpae tetra cuz the were nipping at my Bolivian ram.

Yea you have tons of room. You could go with a school of neons, or another tetra. You could get away with two pairs of rams. Pretty much anything community you like.

Hmm. Is it ok to put 2 Bolivians in with 2 blue? Do they interbreed like African cichlids?

Hmm. Is it ok to put 2 Bolivians in with 2 blue? Do they interbreed like African cichlids?

They tend to stay with their own kind, but it's possible from what I've heard.

I would also add some more cories, making it a group of 6 or more of all the same type would be the best way to go about it.

I have one Bolivian Ram and one Electric Blue Ram. For the most part they leave each other alone. Sometimes they try to defend each other's territory. Whats funny is that their current territory isn't permanent. They will often trade spots. Sometimes they will even hang out together and run the tetras off.

I don't know what a pair of one would do a lone one of the other kind. Nor do I know what a mated pair of each would do to each other.

Got 7 little neons and 3 more Cory's. saw gold rams!! Anyone have these? Was so tempted bit figure I see how the blues take to my water. If they do not I will reorganize my plan and modify water as I need to. I was tempted to but a ph reducer but read bad things about that and that stability in ph was more imp rather than drastic adjust to get it right.

Back
Top Bottom