Bolivian or German

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chenay83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can someone tell me exactly what the fish are? Bolivians or Germans.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111229_122117.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111229_122117.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 78
  • ForumRunner_20111229_122134.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111229_122134.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 77
The 1 in the middle is the only 1 that looks bolivian to me.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111229_123200.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111229_123200.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 76
You are refering to the one in the middle with the dots along its side rather than the one dark dot? It still looks rather German to me. This is just my guess, but I honestly think its quite likely that the ram in question could be a German/Bolivian cross. :) I do not think its a straight Bolivian.

Well I paid for Bolivians. I didn't want Germans because I was told they had very demanding water needs and I was brand new to the cichlid world. But I have had these fish for three months without any problems. Its just not what I paid for. Do Bolivians and Germans really cross breed???

I think theyre all Germans, I'm not seeing any red fins or tan bodies like Bolivians have

Fishkeeper26 said:
I think theyre all Germans, I'm not seeing any red fins or tan bodies like Bolivians have

I dont know, check out the first picture. I see red fins.

I think possibly 1 bolivian, 3 german?

Yeah but it's only the tip of the dorsal fin, IME most have red fins on the bottom too

Here is a thread where a member has bred Bolivians and Germans together. After I learned this, I looked into it more and found more instances of them cross-breeding. :) http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/rams-showcase-175147.html
I am not saying for sure yours is a mix, but it might be a possibilty. I am just saying that because of the lack of defining black side dot like Germans have. Instead it has those few lighter lateral line dots and a more brown body. I think its more likely yours is just a GBR though.

Those are all GBR's. No question about it. I've had 3 mating couples over the past 2 years and have seen all shades of GBR's, because they can sometimes lose their color and regain it, in an instant. Their colors will vary based on water temp, pH, spawning habits, and tank mates. GBR's fo' sho' - IMO they are way cooler than Bolivians anyways!

Ok at least I know what I have. But if these are germans I figured they should've been dead by now, they are in very hard water. Like 8.5 should I leave it that way or slowly start to change it? They have been in there for 3 months at least.

Back
Top Bottom