Can Any Cichlid be kept in a Ten Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zrman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I was wondering. Is there any cichlid that can be kept in a 10gallon or is that to small.
Thanks

I'm trying to do the same. Right now, I have a Red Zebra, Blue Zebra and a Auratus in a ten gallon. I've been told, on other sites, that this was too many cichlids in too small of a tank. I've only had them together for about two weeks and so far (knock on wood) there's been no problems. I've been told that the Auratus is too agressive for this setup, but as of right now, anyways, he's the smallest and he's the most relaxed of the three. The Red Zebra is the largest and he chases the Blue Zebra all about the tank, but doesn't really attack him.

So, I may or may not develop problems. If I do, I'll get a thirty gallon for them. I really like these three cichlids and hope they learn to live with each other. Let me know what you find out (if you are researching outside this site) :D

There are several dwarf cichlids that will do well in a tank that size. The Blue Rams are one (microgeophagus ramirezi). If you want africans, check out the apistogrammas. There are some other small africans also.

There are alot of fish in the cichlid family. You would need to stick with the smaller
varieties. Some get quite large.

if ur planin' on keepin cichlids, it's fine to keep them in a 10gal for a short while...but in the mean time be plannin' on up grading to a bigger tank... the reason that I say this, is cuz that's how I started out with my african cichlids...Good luck with your decision

I agree with Liquid on this. Once they get bigger (if you choose not to go for the dwarf cichlids) their temper increases, and I am sure noone needs to tell you how ruthless some of these guys get. But yeah think about getting a bigger tank and quickly.. these guys haven't grown slow since I've had them :p

I found a cichlid a pair of kribs do fine in a ten gallon. I researched it and it is the only one cichlid that well breed in a ten gallon easily just proved a cave. Well thanks for your info.
For More info on this fish go to
www.petfish.net
it will be under Kribenis something like that.

Back
Top Bottom