Can anyone identify this fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FJ_M3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
LFS got this fish in from someone who said it was attacking all their fish. Its really nice in person. Can anyone please tell me what it is because the employee at the store had no idea?

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 162
That looks to be a Parachromis Managuensis, also known as the Jaguar cichlid.

Your welcome I'm pretty sure it is a jag but maybe one of the more experienced users can verify my guess as how I don't keep SA cichlids except my angel

Your welcome I'm pretty sure it is a jag but maybe one of the more experienced users can verify my guess as how I don't keep SA cichlids except my angel

I just thought it was a really nice looking fish in person. iPhone pic did it no justice. I am currently cycling a 55 and it will be ready for fish soon. However if indeed it is a Jaguar cichlid as you think I am reading it should be housed alone and in a minimum of 125 gallon. Looks like I can't bring it home.

Yeah it's a jaguar. I have a friend who had one, and I've seen them before.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

Correct its a Parachromis managuensis "Jaguar cichlid". Managuensis are actually a Central American cichlid endemic to Southern low-lands of Mexico and parts of Costa Rica. While a single fish can be kept in a 90g or 120g stout long term it's best suited for a 6' 125g. The 6' 125g is also considered bare minimum for a pair, even with the extra space of a 6' tank there's no guarantee tank mates/pairs will be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom