can anyone tell male from female jack dempsey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I rescued the "reg" jack today from certain death, was actually in a broken tank by the dumpster where I am a maintenance tech...super crazy.

and i had the EBJD

img_1213333_0_fc673c59da1926ee2794bc58ce55a68b.jpg

img_1213333_1_143b44eae5eda741a4c462f2ac3e2bd7.jpg

need advice quick..............
the "old" EBJD I had "Jack" is getting beat up, not sure if its from the new dempsey, or adding the new dempsey triggered aggession in the oscar in the tank, both dempsey's are about 3.5-4.5" and the oscar 5-6" anyone any ideas, I do notice the new dempsey hanging in the spot that used to be the electric blue's spot, but the oscar "nipping" at both, I really don't want my electric blue to get killed, as stated before, the Oscar is getting a new tank, but it won't be ready for another week or so.

i know the reg jack is female, just wondering on the EBJD, I don't want to get rid of the reg JD female, and end up with 2 females again, I have heard that the EBJD is a bit less temperamental, would he/she do fine with say 2 or 3 other JD that are only 2" with it being 3.5-4"
cause the pet store said they would trade me 3 at 2" for the one I rescued, but I hate to give up on her. you don't think it could be the oscar getting angry at a new tank mate and attacking the EBJD

It's like a game of clue but any of your fish could be the culprit. Every fish like people have different behaviors but I would guess it's the oscar. What size tank are they in? In smaller tank with these fish aggression issues are unavoidable with fish having smaller territories. My pair wont let another living soul in the tank with them.

it is a 75 gallon, and as stated before the oscar is moving soon. I had the blue Dempsey and oscar in the tank together for about 2-3 months, then I added the female reg. dempsey 2 days ago when I found her. then the Blue dempsey ended up beat up, so I really am not sure, if it was the reg dempsey or the oscar acting out because of the new tank mate, so I moved the Blue to the bristlenose breeding tank. and haven't noticed any fighting between the reg Dempsey and oscar lately(last 18 hrs.) they just hanging in different parts of tank...oscar in his normal spots, and the reg. dempsey is where the blue used to hang out

Sounds like Jack on Jack fight. They can be aggressive within their own species. I doubt it was the Oscar IMO if you had them together already.

Back
Top Bottom