Changing colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an cichlid that's about a year old. He/she keeps changing color and I was wondering if anyone has insight as to why. He was bright yellow initially. After he went on a murder spree I removed him to a smaller tank for a few months where he turned blue. I got a larger tank for him and over the last couple months has returned to bright yellow with blue highlights, lol.
I have no idea what kind he is, he was fished out of a tank of colorful fish labeled "African cichlids" along with 3 others he eventually killed. I'm not an experienced fish owner. I clean his tank regularly and change the water. Hes in a 29 gallon tank by himself. Hes a pretty cool guy and I want to make sure he's okay, thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Fish.jpg
    Fish.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 449
I believe your fish is a young adult male "Kenyi". Juveniles and females have the blue coloration w/black bars. As the male ages he gradually turns yellow. A very pretty but aggressive fish.

Thank you so much for the information! I was worried I was stressing him out or something. I've only ever had goldfish and they always stayed the same color, lol. Now that I know what he is I can do some more research to keep him healthy. I never knew fish could have such a personality! Very cool as along as you aren't another fish, lol.

There are plenty of Mbuna just as mean as your little Kenyi, Lol. Make a rock hardscape with lots of hiding spots. Do your research and add several more different male Mbuna like Zebras, Exasperatus or Hongi. You might even find a few female Kenyis and breed them.

Back
Top Bottom