???? cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weaverkb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any idea what this is?

Attachments

• fish1_148.jpg
    fish1_148.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks. I just got this tank from a friend and this came with it. A lot of the Malawi's look very similar to me and I am trying to set up a Tanganyika only tank. Guess he's gonna go.

They probably look very similar because the most common african Cichlids are Mbunas. Mbunas range in colors and are generally very attractive compared to their counterpart, the Hap. Male haps tend to be pretty, but females aren't. That's part of the reason why you generally don't see as many Haps. Mbunas and Haps have very distinct body shapes.

How large is s/he? If she's still a small juvi, it's difficult to determine sex. The Kenyi will change coloration at sexual maturity to the yellow color if its a male. There is ALOT of Kenyi duscussion going on in the boards lately. :D

The blotchiness in coloration does not resemble an Mbuna. But after a quick search at Malawi Mayhem I remembered seeing that particular fish in an article before. Lo and behold, there she is. :D

Are there any other tank inhabitants besides the Kenyi? The tail appears to have been munched on by another fish. It appears that you have a male and they are both from Malawi.

Cool. Thanks for your help. I already got rid of the male auratus that was keeping everything pinned up in the corners of the tank. Guess I'll have to find homes for these ones, too.

Yup, the Auratus is definately the culprit. They are mean little buggers and generally should not be housed with many Africans, except for a select few who are just as aggressive. The Auratus is the most aggressive African in Malawi and far too common at the lfs.

Yeah, that auratus wouldn't leave the other two alone. He was the first to go. I got all these with the tank.

The tank now has a yellow comp, a brachardi and a rhino pleco for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom