Peacock Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Destinee1273

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please help. I'm new to this site. My peacock cichlid keeps opening his mouth wide and gesturing at me. Not sure what is wrong. I'm concerned

Please take a read through the "unhealthy fish" sticky and give as much detail as you are able.

Adding a photo or uploading a video to a site like youtube and posting a link would also help visually see if there is anything wrong.

Please take a read through the "unhealthy fish" sticky and give as much detail as you are able.

Adding a photo or uploading a video to a site like youtube and posting a link would also help visually see if there is anything wrong.
It is a African cichlid, Peacock to be exact. Sorry I'm new to this. My brother's friend gave him his fish tank with his seven fish as well. He was moving away and couldn't take them on a long trip. We have never had fish before. We have already lost 2 fish. Both were 2 weeks apart. I can't tell you the tank parameters because I don't know. I do have a video but I can't upload because of low memory.

Attachments

• 20240406_133913.jpg
    20240406_133913.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 3
It would still be useful for you to go through all the questions posed, answer where you can. And where you cant answer, say "i dont know" so we can at least know what you do know, what you dont, and where you might have a problem. All we have so far is a peacock cichlid making a funny face and gesturing, a couple of fish dying, and they recently moved home. This isnt much to make any kind of reliable diagnosis. Im sorry, i dont keep cichlids, so i cant say whats normal behaviour, but fish dying isnt normal. That could be due to a problem, or it could just be old age.

For now, as you have no way of testing your aquarium water, i would remove a jar full of water to test later. Either get a good test kit, like API freshwater master test kit, or take your jar of water to the aquarium store and ask them to test your water for you (and pick up a test kit while you are there). Report back with the results. If the store tests your water, make sure they give you the numbers and write them down. Dont just accept them saying "everythings good".

Once you have removed your sample, wipe down the inside of your aquarium with a clean aquarium sponge, and do a big (50% to 75%) water change including gravel vac.

And. That aquarium is nowhere near big enough for peacock cichlids. You had 7 in there and now have 5?

Those 5 fish probably need at least 120 litres/ 30 gallons. Maybe more, like i said i dont keep cichlids. Your tank looks around 40 to 60 litres/ 10 to 15 gallons.

Living in such a small environment will be causing a lot of stress to the fish, which in turn leads to poor health and short lives. Too small a volume of water, along with insufficient filtration will lead to poor water quality, which in turn leads to poor health and short lives. If you plan on keeping these fish long term they need a better home. Or keep some fish more suited to your aquarium.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom