Cichlid help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ej_b1996

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 55 gallon and I wanted to know how may cichlids I can keep in it?
I'm hoping for at least 10 but the more the better
Thanks!

It really depends on what species you go with. How often and how much water you change. What filtration you use "more is better". What decor you use is also a factor. A lot of information is needed before anyone can give an honest answer.

What type are you're trying to get? Also African/SA/MA?
You can get 10 if they're small enough.
Filter/WC/Hiding spots.
Some cichlids and be aggressive and territorial.

Um at most probably 6" max?

What about in an 80 gallon or 29 gallon?

i have 15 adults in my 55. but i know that the more you have the less aggression you will have.. the max i would say as adults i would say no more than 20-21 ... and as for your aquascape just have enough spots for them to hide...

i have 15 adults in my 55. but i know that the more you have the less aggression you will have.. the max i would say as adults i would say no more than 20-21 ... and as for your aquascape just have enough spots for them to hide...

20 is pretty excessive. I had 20 in my tank for 3 weeks while a friends tank cycled. I had to do 50% water changes almost twice a week. Not fun.

20 is a lot. Also, the more you have, the more aggression conflicts. It's really on the type of fish. You can't fit 20 cichlids in there.

From most of the reading I have done, you can overstock quite a bit with africans. It can help with any aggression in the tank. The only problem then is making a regular habit of cleaning the tank so the bio-load is not high. Size and species are the biggest factors to consider, but also remember that the more decorations you have the less space there is for fish and cichlids like to have lots of places to hide.

You also have to take into account water quality...you need to test your water to make sure that NitrAtes remain under control...in my 55g, I have 6 4 inch Hap sf Crossbars and need to do a 50% WC every 5th day or my NitrAtes will go over 40 ppm...I have 20 plants in the tank. You will need to test water until you find the correct schedule.

this is what i was told when i was stockin my 55g.. i started off with 14 around 3mths ago n my water levels are good as of now i dont really have to change my water as often as i do but i make a pwc every week which i suggest doing .
12-15 good
16-18 medium
19-22 overstocked
But that was based off of 5" or less Cichlids

I also have 2 hob (hang on back) filters one is a top fin 60 then i have the biowheel 200 i think.. I just bought a canister filter and a powerhead to help out for when they get older

Tks for the info!!! (y) I was looking to put those in mine tank after it is cycled. I have 50g but the " lightly stocked" might be idea. I will have a good filter running & refugium up and running as well.

55 Gallon 208.1 Litters
For an example of a great beginner tank would be:
2 males 6 females – Labidochromis Caeruleus
1 male 4 females – Cynotilapia Afra
1 male 4 females – Pseudotropheus Saulosi
Stocking #s:
12-15 lightly stocked
16-18 medium
19-22 heavily stocked
GPH filtered at the least: 330
Filter recommendation: ac70 and xp2
*Heater watts: 200
*Power head GPH: 750

Do a little research before you post fishanatic...
Before coming up to me like that, i do heavy ressearch before posting. Don't criticize my ways. I also say it in a vague way, so i don't know how you could deduct anything from that!
I said depending on the type of fish!

20 is a lot. Also, the more you have, the more aggression conflicts. It's really on the type of fish. You can't fit 20 cichlids in there.

If we are talking Mbuna which I believe we are, 20 fish that get 3-5" in size is a perfectly acceptable in a 55 gallon aquarium. However there needs to be enough filtration and adequate water changes need to be preformed. Over stocking is a common practice to help quell aggression in the hyper aggressive Mbuna. Saying that it will make them more aggressive is an inaccurate statement and shows a lack of first hand knowledge and research.

Would I be able to put in an African brown knife fish?
I'm planning on getting them all together when young so no territorial aggression really. Well not As much

But ya just in general would african cichlids work well in my 55 gallon with an African brown knife fish?

Back
Top Bottom