cichlid parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blur34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a sweet new 70 gallon tank and I want to start an african cichlid tank and I am wondering what the ideal water parameters are. Please help me and what kind of cover and gravel do they perfer?

As far as I know, most african cichlids like/will move the substrate. They need harder water(I think, Menagerie will know for sure) so you could use crushed coral.

I think it depends on which africans you get. Rift lake fish like hard water and high ph. River fish, like kribs do fine in a little softer water with a ph in the 7s. Try to find out what perameters the breeder uses. Local bred fish usually do fine in the local water , so may not need special water .

You definetily need to decide which African cichlids you want. The best way to do this is to test the water you currently have. You need to test for kh, gh and pH.
Also keep in mind that many of these fish can be locally bred and may be used to the water conditions.

Decide exactly which ones you want:

Here is a site that should help you find some ones you like:

htttp://cichlid-forum.com

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom