Cichlids and Cory's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible to have Cichlids and cory's in the same tank? I need to take my 10 gallon down an have 3 corries that will need to be re-homed. My cichlids are in a 20G long so I thought they would go in with them. Will the cichlids kill them?

They will nip at the fins but that's gonna be a big bioload for a 20 gallon. What type of filtration do you have.

IMO the cichlids will eventually kill the cory's and 20g is way too small for those cichlids they will kill each other as they grow.

Its a 20 Long so they have a bit more room to swim and hide. But its not a permanent home for them. Realistically, just for 5 to 6 months until I can afford something bigger.

In 6 months they could be 4" long.The trouble is whichever turns out to be the dominant male will claim the whole tank as his territory.African cichlids like to claim territories and 20 gal is just not big enough for 1 African cichlid never mind 4.
I'm just trying to be honest and helpful :)

In 6 months they could be 4" long.The trouble is whichever turns out to be the dominant male will claim the whole tank as his territory.African cichlids like to claim territories and 20 gal is just not big enough for 1 African cichlid never mind 4.
I'm just trying to be honest and helpful :)

Its all good. I have other tanks all ready for when they start getting larger and more territorial. I am ready to re-home when ever needed :) I have a nice collection on empty 20G's to separate them too if needed.

They are very active fish and need the swim space imo

I'll keep that in mind when they start getting larger and more aggressive. But I cant see putting a single fish that is 6in or less in 55 Gallon tank.

Bear in mind the labs will get to 4" and the kenyi 5" .A 2" kenyi can have the desire to destroy any other fish in its tank if it so desires.Kenyi can be very aggressive indeed.

Bear in mind the labs will get to 4" and the kenyi 5" .A 2" kenyi can have the desire to destroy any other fish in its tank if it so desires.Kenyi can be very aggressive indeed.

But a single Kenyi should be more than comfortable in a 20G long tank. Plenty of swimming room for a 5in fish :) I'm not by any means trying to argue. Just stating my opinion.

Scientific Name(s): Pseudotropheus lombardoi, Pseudotropheus liliancinius, P. kennyi

Common Name(s): Kenyi, Blue Kenyi, Kenyi Cichlid, Kenyii, Kennyi

Family: Cichlidae

Species Type: African Cichlids, Lake Malawi

Maximum Size: 5 inches

Life Span: 10 years

Natural Habitat: Lake Malawi

Minimum Tank Size: 55 gallons

Tank Region: All over

Possible Tank Mates: Other aggressive african cichlids or synodontis catfish

Description: The Kenyi is a rather aggressive cichlid from Lake Malawi in Africa. It is very bright blue as a juvenile. As they mature, the females become more of a pale blue and the males become bright yellow. At every stage of development Kennyis have numerous black vertical bars.

Temperature Range 72°F - 82°F

60°F
65°F
70°F
75°F
80°F
85°F
90°F

pH Range 7.8 - 8.6

pH 5.0
pH 6.0
pH 7.0
pH 8.0
pH 9.0

Hardness 10° - 20°

10°
20°
30°
40°

Just one of several sites that say the same thing.I have never owned a kenyi and I am hesitant to do so because of the many write ups I have read and the advice of many experienced cichlid keepers on this site.I have a 143 gal tank but still I am hesitant of this aggressive fish.

I didnt know they were Keny's when I bought them. They were in Walmarts "Assorted Cichlid" tank. If they are that aggressive, I will keep them until they are old enough to tell the sex and I will take them to the LFS and trade them towards something else. They are pretty good about stuff like that if the fish are healthy. I like my labs more anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom