Cichlids & knifefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guychiclid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'll start by saying I'm new to the aquatic world meaning I started my first aquarium last month, I have 10 a.c, a Texas cichlid and a pleco. All the cichlids are still pretty small I bought all of them at around the same size 3" - 4" and I was wondering if it's ok to add a clown or a royal knifefish in there mainly because I don't want to keep it strictly cichlids. I got a 45 gal tank. And right now with all the fish already there for a little more than three weeks it looks kinda empty.

What are a.c.? african cichlids? If so that Texas once it matures will make short work of the other fish. I wouldn't add a knife. Heck I'd get rid of the Texas if you don't want a bloodbath down the line.

Both those knives get way to big for that tank also. I wouldn't add anything, I'd get rid of the Texas and pleco and just keep the Africans. If it's a 36" tank 10 Africans may be to many depending on species as well.

Oh welcome to AA though! Didn't even realize that was your first post. Cichlids can be tough to get right. Even though they're all small now once they grow up they will get more territorial and aggressive. Sorry if I came off wrong, don't want to scare off a new person :(. Just trying to see everyone succeed

Didn't scare me at all thanks for the advice. Now as for the Texas it seems to be pretty quiet. At first it was really dominating but now he׳s just another fish in there. I've seen many tanks combining cichlids and a knifefish. But I'd like to know if not a knifefish then what fish can I add because the tank as it is now is pretty empty.

What about a synodontis catfish of some type. They're very cool and go well with cichlids.

And do Africans get along with Americans or other type cichlids?

If it's working now it's more likely it's because everyone is still a young juvi as soon as they grow. Texas cichlids grow fast they can reach 12 inches compered to 6 for Africans they need bigger tank mates and bigger tanks 55g is the min. A 45g is bare bones the smallest by himself. He will outgrow the Africans and make short work of them. Can it work maybe but I wouldn't bet on it

And do Africans get along with Americans or other type cichlids?

Yes but you need a lot of experience understanding where fish like to swim middle. Top. Or bottom. Size is important when considering this and a whole lot of other factors. Such as ph and temp. Avoid the coming blood bath and either rehome the Africans or the Texas cichlid. If you want to mix you also need a bigger tank like a 125g six foot tanks give you more hiding places but in a 45g no it's already bearly big enough for the Africans by themselves

45 can work for the African dwarf mbuna but not much else and a Texas shouldn't be in smaller than a 75 IMO with only another big fish as a tank mate. I'd trade him in and look into smaller African mbuna. You can make a nice tank with them in that size but likely a species only as in 2 males and 8 or 10 females of one type like pseudotropheus saulosi or iodotropheus sperengae ( rusty cichlids) or labidochromis chisumulae.

Back
Top Bottom