Cichlids For 150 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I might move and then would have to restock my tank. I think I want to try some cichlids. This is what I was thinking.
1 Oscar
2 Blood Parrots
And 2-3 Jack Dempsies or Green Terrors. Would this be over stocked and would all the fish get along? And also a Pleco.

vanimal said:
I might move and then would have to restock my tank. I think I want to try some cichlids. This is what I was thinking.
1 Oscar
2 Blood Parrots
And 2-3 Jack Dempsies or Green Terrors. Would this be over stocked and would all the fish get along? And also a Pleco.

Overstocked for sure. The Oscar, pleco and maybe one or two other fish from your list but not all of them. I know a 150 sounds huge but when it comes to oscars and plecos they make almost any tank a small tank. The bioload his huge. Double or triple up on the filtration if you decide to go for all of that list. Not saying it can't or won't work, but it may be a challenge.

How bout this
1 Oscar
1 Pleco
1 Green Terror
2 Blood Parrots

vanimal said:
How bout this
1 Oscar
1 Pleco
1 Green Terror
2 Blood Parrots

IMO the parrots might not be able to defend themselves if a riot were to break out. Lose the parrots and go for a jack. Just make sure to add all fish at the same time!

I'd dump the blood parrots idea and get a smaller-sized pleco and I think you'll be in better shape. I have a common pleco and it's a hassle keeping the tank clean with his spaghetti poop all over the place.

If you like the appearance of the blood parrots, I'd look into fish from the Heros genus as replacements. I don't care for the genus in general, but the rotkeil severum is pretty nice looking. Anythings better than the deformed blood parrots though.

The GT and JD are both moderately aggressive and may work out fine with each other and the Oscar. There is also the risk it will be a battleground.

Also, you'll want to plan on weekly water changes if you get the Oscar. Not to discourage you from getting one (I have one), but they are a time investment. When you combine them with other large cichlids and plecos, it makes it even more important.

With HLLE, it's pretty ugly when they are not well cared for properly.

Back
Top Bottom