cichlids in a 40 breeder.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40b

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i was wondering if cichlids would do well in my 40 breeder? and how many can be in there without over stocking?

Depends on the cichlid. Personally, I would do a couple pairs of neolamprologus multifaciatus shell dwellers or maybe a pair of apistogramma. You probably could have some kribs or other small riverines like jewel cichlids. For exact numbers of the above I'll leave that to people with more knowledge than me.

Its really too small for a full rift lakes set up other than shellies though. Other than the apistos I'm not familiar with new worlds so I'd wait for others to chime in.

Reactions: 40b
i was thinking about some yellow labs to start. my water ph is 7.8 and i just finished fully cycling my tank. what kind of cichlid you you best recommend?

i was thinking about some yellow labs to start. my water ph is 7.8 and i just finished fully cycling my tank. what kind of cichlid you you best recommend?

Labidochromis are mbuna so I would say go with something else. Mbuna aren't recommended for anything smaller than a 55g.

i was wondering if cichlids would do well in my 40 breeder? and how many can be in there without over stocking?

Depending on their size. I would put around 8 very small juvies realizing that eventually you might have to take them out into a bigger tank.
I have done this many times with cichlids, I recently had 13 Mbunas in a 55 gallon for about 2 years and did very well, just a couple of weeks ago I sold them to someone with a much bigger tank.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom