Cichlids in a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackwagon

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 that is currently not being used and was entertaining the idea of a mildly aggressive cichlid tank. What would some of my options be? I have never kept cichlids before so I am completely in the dark. My filtration setup is a Marineland Emperor 400 and an Aquaclear 110

Well first thing is first, you should decide what lake you want to pick from. Generally, as a beginner, you should start with 1 lake and 1 type from that lake. Do some research and once you can get to that point we can better help you with a stocking list

I think that the cichlids from Lake Malawi seem to be the easiest to keep and also the most colorful. I have kept successful aquariums before so I'm not too worried about upkeep and care.

I'm looking for an active tank that seems "full" of fish. I've heard there is some stock in the theory of overstocking cichlid tanks in order to prevent aggression. Is this theory applicable to Malawi cichlids? With my filters I believe I could handle a pretty size-able bio-load correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you will be very happy with an all male aquarium if you want to have different types with different colour and lots of fish. You can youtube and check "all male peacock chichlid tank" for the starters.

over stock of ciclids

I tried the over stock thing once, and it turned out to be a disaster. The all were fine to start out together and then became slowly aggressive and territorial. Probable because of the mixing of both sexes. If you try it out go with no more than ten at most in your 55gal. And cross your fingers. Also try to keep the tank some what open. As to not provide too much cover that seams to give them more to be territorial over. :invasion:

I think you will be very happy with an all male aquarium if you want to have different types with different colour and lots of fish. You can youtube and check "all male peacock chichlid tank" for the starters.

So if I decided to go all male, which seems to be the better option given I don't want to deal with any fry, my options seem to be picking between peacocks/haps and mbunas. It seems like some people have had success mixing the two but that seems like a shot in the dark at my current knowledge level. Would anyone have stocking suggestions for peacocks/haps?

Yes mate , i havent had the experience on an all male tank, as i love to have breeding pairs and dealing with frys (its very rewarding).
But i have researched and read a lot about it , which helped to build one for a friend. There are some tricks which makes it doable. Specially no females and no caves will mean no territorial fights.

How much upkeep is a breeding pair tank? Can you have multiple breeding pairs? For some of the peacock species it seems to suggest that they are schooling fish, requiring groups of 5 or more. If I did do an all male tank, that would obviously cause aggression correct? So then I would have to do a 1:4 or 1:3 male to female ratio?

pairring pecocks

I would have to say more than one male will lead to territorial dispute. Perhaps six girls. Three of each and just one male. You may then come up with your own new breed. But to have two separate groups; Would have to happen all at once to have a better success rate. As to not give one of the males the time or chance to develop becoming more territorial than not. Hope this helps. Good luck!

So if I went with groups of 3 (1:2 male female) of varying species (all peacock though) and avoiding similar colors, would that be a good place to start if I didn't want an all male tank.

ya to a good 50/50

I would say yes to a good start. Just remember that what you are trying to do. Is play or rather gamble with nature; A bit and that it can be a 50/50 chance on the turn out. Its even possible you could loose them all. If they pick at each other enough. I say go for it. And keep in mined a plexy glass divider incase things start to go wrong.

Do you (or anyone) have any stocking ideas for an all male tank or a male/female setup?

I would say yes to a good start. Just remember that what you are trying to do. Is play or rather gamble with nature; A bit and that it can be a 50/50 chance on the turn out. Its even possible you could loose them all. If they pick at each other enough. I say go for it. And keep in mined a plexy glass divider incase things start to go wrong.

How true this is!
Also to add to this comment... in the past I have removed some of the big trouble makers but that can also be 50/50 since once the bully is removed, another one could take his place. This has been my plan B a few times and has worked, I either gave the fish away or moved it to another tank, so a careful selection with plan B or C can work out.

Back
Top Bottom