Cichlids went to shock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gek00

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We got an aquarium a week ago and we started adding chemicals to it as instructed(to neutralize ammonia and nitrites in the water) and theres also a filter that was running non stop for a week - this was without the fish

Now as we bought the fishes (two red shoulder severum cichlids - tropical) we did as instructed such as putting the bag it came with it inside the fish tank first to get it to adjust to the temperature of the water for 30 mins etc... but as soon as the fish was inside the tank, it went into shock - it would just stay on the bottom.

What do I do? Completely clueless since this is my first tank

Help would be greatly appreciated, if you need further info I'll try my best to provide for such.

Thanks

Note: The filter and the heater is working as it should be

Honestly I have had a few of my fish do this aswell...think alil about it...if some one took you from your home and put you in alil bag and then in a new area you ain't going to just start running around....and if it seems like they are "breathing" heavy just let them chill and get used to their new home....give it a few days and let ease in their own way...it will be good... how about a pic of this tank...you got some stuff in there right? Its not just fish and substrate is it?
Also try to keep up with your testing of water quality...good water=happy fish...
But let's get some stats and maybe a pic and hopefully maybe someone else chimes in....
But good luck and be patient....nothing happens over night..

My tank when it was first started....55gal fw..

ForumRunner_20130222_222212.jpg

And as it is today.....

ForumRunner_20130222_222353.jpg

Comb the threads, don't be scared to ask questions, and talk to your local fish store...try to advoid petsmart or petco type places due to your lfs specializes usally only in fish keeping where your big box store you might get an novice much like your self giving you advice...... hope this helps.

Welcome to AA!

Do you have a good test kit? Whatis the quality? It sounds to me the tank hasnt cycled. This is a good link to great advice. Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

We dont have a test kit but the guy at big al's did say it would be fine (without having to test the water) and he also recommended us a chemical that would help neutralize ammonia and nitrite before putting in the fish - which we did

We'll further observe for any changes as of right now I took this guy's advice about turning off the light and filter for 24 hours - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...lqXf0ITsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20130222201800AAR3dwn

Idk about turning off the filter while fish are in it...the light I can understand...plants or not run light about 10 to 12 hrs aday...

Was it prime he recommended? If so he might have some idea what he's talking about... but you might in time want to save up for a water test kit...might as well go all the way for the master kit....don't waste time on strips or the single chem kits...IMO...plus most fish stores and places will test your water for you usally for free...

Def not cycled. Don't rely on chemicals. Get the liquid test kit its not more than $20 (and if they are more, whatever its not bad, and if you cant afford that, dont own living animals haha ) and lasts forever. And worth it. Please read about the cycling process and you will further understand what stress and possible fatality you just put your fish under.

Floating the bag only acclimates the fish to temperature but not other changes like PH, etc. It's recommended to either drip acclimate new fish or add a small amount of your tank water to the bag every 15 minutes or so until the water doubles, then empty half out and do it again. This acclimates the fish to your water before you add them to the tank.

Also the tank isn't cycled, so you may want to read that link above.

Cichlids will sulk for a few days when put into anew home. Do daily water changes while your tank cycles As it is very hard on the fish. I can't believe they told you to turn off your filter for a day.

During the cycling process you need to stay from any chemicals except dechlorinaters. Trying to rid of nitrites or ammonia is the process of cycling a tank.

We dont have a test kit but the guy at big al's did say it would be fine (without having to test the water) and he also recommended us a chemical that would help neutralize ammonia and nitrite before putting in the fish - which we did

We'll further observe for any changes as of right now I took this guy's advice about turning off the light and filter for 24 hours - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqO9aqeASzl9MEyzlqXf0ITsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20130222201800AAR3dwn

Don't turn the filter off. That's some of the worst advice I've ever heard.

Never turn your filter off unless doing maintenance. There is no need for salt at present, Seachem Prime is also much better than the other product that idiot mentioned in Yahoo. You don't mention adding water to the Severums bag during the acclimatisation process, if this wasn't done the fish will be in shock from the change in water chemistry and may or may not pull through.
There is no ammonia, nitrite or harmful levels of nitrate in tap water just put into a tank - adding chemicals to reduce this is pointless. You do need to dechlorinate tap water using such products as Seachem Prime.
Read up on the fish tank cycle process to understand what is going to take place in your tank.
Large fish being placed in the tank first is pure bad advice, smaller fish that will be able to share the tank with the final centrepiece fish should be added first to start the process of cycling, with the lager fish added at the end - usually around 6-8 weeks. Only when fish have been added will ammonia, nitrite and nitrate start to appear - one after the other over the coming weeks, water changes will remove all and should be carried out weekly or even more frequent if harmful levels of toxins appear in the tank during regular testing if tank water.
All you need - Seachem Prime, API master test kit, a bit of research online ( 20 mins reading will save you hours ), and lots of patience.

When acclimating fish, float bag for 10 mins in tank with lights off. Start adding small amounts of water to the bag, every 15 mins for 1 hour, gently release fish into tank, leave lights off for around an hour afterwards.
You can also drip acclimatise, which sounds more complicated than it is and is a better way to do it, in the mean time u would just do as stated above.

You have been giving shocking advice thus far, hopefully we can do better on here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom