convict cichlid help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookie71384

Aquarium Advice Activist
hows it going everybody...I have a question
I'm hoping someone can help me out
with...I have a 29 gallon tank with four
convicts...two pinks and two blacks...I'm
pretty sure the two pinks are females
because they have an orange pigmentation
on the stomachs...one of the blacks has
some orange on the stomach as well so I'm
pretty sure that's another female...the
other black has no orange at all and the
dorsal and anal fins are very long at the
tips so again I'm pretty sure that' s a
male...anyway...to my question...I really
don't want to have a breeding pair so I'm
thinking about taking the male out before
things get to crazy in the tank...I would like
to keep all females but how many females
can I keep in a 29 gallon tank???...I know two
convicts is the max if you have a breeding
pair but I've been reading that you can
keep four females in a 29 gallon tank due to
the females having less aggression...if
anyone could help me with this it would be
greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

To be 100% on the female to male you would need to vent them. About having 4 in a 29 gallon might be too many unless they have lots of hiding spots or caves. Hope this helps

thanks for the reply...what do you mean by vent though?

oh ok...that cleared it right up for me lol...thanks for that...I'm thinking of just keeping the two female pink convicts...would a school of tiger barbs be ok with them???...I just want to live up the tank a little

Umm everyone would prolly say no but i have fish that poeple say shouldnt be together but do fine. Only one way to find out lol

very true lol...might get some this week...lets see what happens lol...what type fish do you have?

Yellow labs, true acei's "not mixed ones from petsmart, damasoni's, sunburst peacocks, fuellaborni's, ob fuellaborni's, a featherfin, a red finned shark, a small jack dempsey, commin algea eater,

Edwards36 said:
Yellow labs, true acei's "not mixed ones from petsmart, damasoni's, sunburst peacocks, fuellaborni's, ob fuellaborni's, a featherfin, a red finned shark, a small jack dempsey, commin algea eater,

How long have you had them all together? What size tank? Are the fish sexually matured? How many dems do you have?

I have a 29 gallon tank with four convict cichlids...the two female pink convicts are about 2 and a half or 3 inches long...they both have the orange pigmentation on there stomach so I'm pretty sure there both sexually mature...and the other two convicts are about a inch long...I don't think there sexually mature because there still small but one of them has about 3 dots on the stomach that are orange and the other one has no orange and very long anal and dorsal fins...I'm pretty sure he's a male because he acts like one...swims around the tank with all his fins out and fanning and flaring the plants and rocks as he swims lol...the two blacks I'm going to get ride of though or maybe just the male...ill keep three females...I attached a pic of my 29 gallon setup

ForumRunner_20120208_131255.jpg

I have a 75 gallon, 5 acei, 6 yellow labs, 2 damasoni, 2 red finned shark , 1 featherfin, 2 peacocks, 6 fuellaborni and just added 3 small red zebras today

Attachments

• image-1299553797.jpg
    image-1299553797.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 95
Nice tank i just seen it after i replied, i would try to get a little more places for them to hide

thanks...I got ride of the male convict today...I stood with just the females...if I decide to add barbs ill do it slowly so I can watch how they act with each other

I got you...I'm going to record a video of the convicts later and post it on youtube...ill send you a link to a video I recorded of my two oscars I had before I got the convicts

Oh i got yuh, for some reason i thought you wer sendin a link to the convicts with tiger barbs

Back
Top Bottom