Convict cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 60 gallon mixed cichlid tank, not really over stocked but probly maxed out. I had a pair of convicts in there that had nested but I never saw any fry. About a week ago I noticed that my male convict was tore up pretty bad the female had some damage but not as bad as my male, I did a big water change and moved my convicts to a 20 gallon tall tank. The pair of convicts is all that is in there, male around 2.5 inches and the female around 2 inches. my question is will they be ok in the 20 with just a bristle nose pleco or do they need a bigger tank?

In terms of water quality issues they should be fine but my concern would be aggression, if they are fighting in a 60g that aggression may get worse in a smaller more space.

The convicts aren't fighting with each other it was the other cichlids beating them up. As far as water quality. I test tanks daily and my cichlid tanks get water change 25-30% 2 times weekly. Readings are always very similar never any ammonia or nitrites, nitrates between 10 and 20 ppm.
The convicts seem very happy in their new home I was just concerned it might not be big enough.
My male at this point is not showing any signs of infection just messed up fins and tail. I also added some aquarium salt to their tank in hopes to get him healed up and keep infection out.
With him having damage would it be better to do daily water changes or will twice a week be enough?

I misunderstood I thought they were fighting, with situations when there is fin damage I usually recommend doing small daily changes of 10-15%. The salt is up to you but I generally don't use any unless I'm treating for other issues.

I have read conflicting stories about the salt, but I thought it might help a little.
And I will step up the water changes to daily 10-15% as you suggested until he heals up.
I love my cons I want to make sure I am doing right by them.

Back
Top Bottom