crenicichla compressiceps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering if anyone has kept these guys before. Their common name is dwarf green pike. I have the opportunity to get some, but am unsure whether I'd be able to add them to my 55 gallon with a gold severum, firemouth, and convict (unfortunately, my pleco went to the big tank in the sky last week). Normally I wouldn't even consider adding dwarf cichlids to this tank, as its inhabitants are pretty aggressive (esp. the FM), but I've been watching them and they seem pretty scrappy for such small fish. Max size is 3.5-4 inches. Any thoughts? TIA :D

It's kinda hard to generalize about pikes, but I'd say it'd probably be okay to try it. Like you said, pikes are pretty scrappy (and some can be downright nasty little buggers), so one should be able to hold his own in your 55g.

How would everyone match up, size-wise?

The pikes are about 3 inches total length, which of course is a concern to me. The convict is about 3.5 inches, the FM is about 6 inches, and the severum about 7.5. It's the FM that is the biggest worry I think. There appear to be 2 female pikes and one male, and I would like to keep all 3 if that would work. There are no large fish with the pikes right now, but they're being kept with loaches and some larger tetras right now, and they seem to have a lot of attitude for their size. They are really cool.

What's the temperment with the FM and your sev? Would you be able to do some tank juggling if you bought the pikes and had trouble?

The sev is relatively aggressive and not too likely to bother the pikes IMO. The FM is so aggressive that it used to pick on my pleco (I think this made a large contribution to the untimely death of said pleco), and regularly starts fights with the sev. The con is aggressive, but keeps to herself more than the FM. Nothing has been able to survive in this tank other than tiger barbs, and only if they are large to begin with (I've tried growing out smaller ones with disappointing results). I added a school of large lemon tetras last night because I wanted to try something other than TBs, and 2 were dead when I woke up this morning. Well, one was dead and the other presumed dead... I never found the body. 8O There isn't really much tank juggling I could do, as it is suggested that the pikes be kept in a 55 gal to control conspecific aggression. I could bring them back, though, if things started to get out of hand.

Well, if you can take them back if needed and you'd be home to keep a close eye on things, it might be worth trying. Like I said, pikes are scrappy little buggers; it's just the size difference I'd be most concerned about.

Yes, I am definitely concerned about the size difference. Also, as micropredators, I'm concerned about the pikes being outcompeted for food. They haven't been accepting flake or pellet food, and tonight was the first time I got them to eat- no fish can resist live brine shrimp LOL! My plan right now is to keep an eye on them for a week or so, and then I think I will bring them home and give it a try. These guys appear to have a LOT of attitude for being so small, and they may have a shot at survival in my tank I think. If nothing else, they can squeeze into some hiding spots in which my other cichlids can't fit. They have been nipping at their tankmates so hopefully it will work. I want them to start eating frozen food at least, though, before I bring them home.

I really appreciate the advice- you seem really knowledgeable about cichlids (both African and New World). I'll let you know how it works out, and post pics when and if I bring them home. Thanks again VC!

Glad to help out, Sev. I've been doing this a long time: New World, African, and everything in between. What can I say- I love cichlids.:)

I really hope things work out for you. Pikes are really nice fish, aren't too common, and will breed in the proper conditions. There are a lot of "ifs" with this situation, but it's definitely worth a shot and it sounds like you're up to the task. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom