Severum types

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found a LFS about 30 min from me. Really cool place its kind of small but everything they have is top notch unique stuff that I typically only find online. I have been looking for some red spotted severums and went to this store to see if they had any. They didn't but they had other severums they had red neck, orange shoulder, and red head as well as the common green and gold. They are all juveniles with large price differences. When I did some research on them they all look pretty much the same and all look like what I had known as Rotkiel.

Are these different fish or same fish different names? I would love it if someone could clear this up. Everything I have read seems to be confusing. I like the ones I see with the blue faces if I knew which one that is I would pic them up. Unfortunately the person manning the register didn't have much info.

There's about 7 common color variants of Heros efasciatus alone, 3 line bred aquarium strains and 4 naturally occurring locational variants. H. efasciatus is often confused with H. severus. Efasciatus is a substrate spawner and severus is a mouthbrooder. Efasciatus is the fish that most American hobbyists mistakenly call "Severum".

There's also a few undescribed species such as : Heros sp. "French Guyana", Heros Sp. "Rotkeil" and , Heros sp. "Rio Inirida".

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So the three I mentioned are they all 3 line bred variants or are they Rotkiels under a different name? I just read Rotkiel means red neck in german

Likely your standard H. efasciatus and some domestic strains. I believe the rotkeil are the " red shoulders".

I honestly haven't looked into them allot, they all look the same to me lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is something that is very frustrating in this hobby unless you are just happy with the simple often wrong names. My reds were listed as red spot golds so im guessing that this was a green/red mixed with a gold.
This is a reason why I am grateful that I was pushed in the direction of less common fish like my lyonsi because there isn't a huge variation of common names. Not saying that there is anything wrong with having a red devil/ mid devil/ midas as long as you are happy with that and don't expect anything more.

This is something that is very frustrating in this hobby unless you are just happy with the simple often wrong names. My reds were listed as red spot golds so im guessing that this was a green/red mixed with a gold.
This is a reason why I am grateful that I was pushed in the direction of less common fish like my lyonsi because there isn't a huge variation of common names. Not saying that there is anything wrong with having a red devil/ mid devil/ midas as long as you are happy with that and don't expect anything more.

The red spotted golds are a line breed of golds. That is about all I know on severum variants LOL.

That is what I was originally looking for so I will probably just hold out until I can find them.

The red spotted golds are a line breed of golds. That is about all I know on severum variants LOL.

That is what I was originally looking for so I will probably just hold out until I can find them.

They are awesome in my experience with them. Eat and swim right into your hand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are awesome in my experience with them. Eat and swim right into your hand.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had one before and I miss it everyday since the day I got rid of it. It was so tame and so colorful. I let it go cause I just had to try Texas Cichlids baaad move on my part.

Don't get me wrong Texas are great but I am not a wet pet type of guy.

Back
Top Bottom