Cycling x4 40 gallon breeder tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubba643

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm setting up some additional bare bottom breeder tanks for misc use down the road. I'm attempting fishless cycle on all but haven't ever done this before. I setting them up one at a time. I have a fully cycled tank which I was running an extra HOB Marineland 350 bio wheel which I removed and attached to the new tank(including the used filters-media). I also used about 20 gallons of water from the cycled tank WC recently to fill the new 40 gallon and used Prime to condition after filling the remaining 20 with tap water. I assumed this would help cycle the tank faster, is that correct? Or even better is it possible to have an instantly cycled tank using established tank water and media? Obviously I will wait as long as needed(water tests, etc) before adding fish but was just wondering if the process might be quicker than the month or more process it takes starting from scratch. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know that added used tank water would speed up the process any, as most of your bacteria isn't in the water column, but in your filter media and substrate, and on porous decor.
Adding used filter media from a well-established, healthy tank will help greatly though. I wouldn't call it an "instant" cycle, as it will still take some time for bacteria to colonize on your decor. If you're going to skip substrate, IMO make sure you add some driftwood, or some other decor which will have area for bacteria, or use a sponge filter in addition to your other filtration. I normally use a "cheater" cycle in my quarantine tank, as I don't leave it running all the time.
If you're going to leave the tanks running full-time, you'll need at least a couple fish in the tank to provide "food" for your bacteria. If you use the "cheater" method, it should be ok to ad fish right away.

I don't know that added used tank water would speed up the process any, as most of your bacteria isn't in the water column, but in your filter media and substrate, and on porous decor.
Adding used filter media from a well-established, healthy tank will help greatly though. I wouldn't call it an "instant" cycle, as it will still take some time for bacteria to colonize on your decor. If you're going to skip substrate, IMO make sure you add some driftwood, or some other decor which will have area for bacteria, or use a sponge filter in addition to your other filtration. I normally use a "cheater" cycle in my quarantine tank, as I don't leave it running all the time.
If you're going to leave the tanks running full-time, you'll need at least a couple fish in the tank to provide "food" for your bacteria. If you use the "cheater" method, it should be ok to ad fish right away.

Makes sense, I do have a sponge filter running in the new tank but it is brand new plus I added a sponge to the cycled tank too for future use. I think(in my head) using the old tank water was an attempt to get some fish waste/ammonia in the tank to feed bacteria to start off. Good point about adding fish. I know that is probably pretty obvious to most but hardest part for me is taking care the living things I can't see. Didn't even consider that they would starve just like fish if not fed, but once you mentioned I kicked myself for not thinking that all the way through. Thanks again for replying especially to some of these less than "advanced" questions. In some cases I am 90% sure I know but it's nice to confirm everything when trying to do things correctly for happy fish.

I certainly wouldn't consider myself "advanced" in the hobby. LOL I only have 30 years experience keeping fish, and still ask plenty of questions myself. For everything I think I may know, I find at least 10 things I certainly do not know.

Back
Top Bottom