discus and angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr.pro1987 said:
Wat is everyone's true opinion cuz I have seen changing views and proof they can sometimes work together?

I've seen a lot of tanks with discus and angel fish together with no problem. One of the main concerns regarding this is that the angels carry a parasite I think or a disease that affects the discus. Also, with food, angels out compete the discus. Angels are a little too fast for the discus. I moved my Angels to a different tank before I added the discus. I didn't want to take chances. Discus should be the main species in the tank. I think it is same with the angels.

You can give it a try if it'll work or not. I don't think you can segregate them when feeding. You can't make the angels eat on one side and the discus on the other. I've seen them work out. I've never tried it though. Give it a try. If I were you before I do that, I'll have an extra cycled tank just in-case it's not going to work out. If any of the fish will suffer, IMO it'll be the discus. A lot more expensive than the angel. Do a lot of research. I did. That's why I just chose not to keep them together in the same tank. I didn't want to have to transfer or get rid of some fish if they didn't work out.

mr.pro1987 said:
I wonder if it would be different in a planted tank

I think that the only difference having them in a planted tank would be that they'll have more hiding spaces compare to bare bottom tank. Discus will have more spots to just hang around and not really deal with other species. I'm not sure if the angels will get aggressive towards the discus though or vice versa. Like what I said, most people's main concern is the feeding. I think that unless you overfeed them that the discus will have enough food but then that will affect the water quality. So the bare bottom tank is your best bet. So that you can clean the tank a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom