Discus and rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeNorman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, New to this forum and hoping to get some advice on Ram cichlids.
Im starting a new 100 gal discus tank (6-8 fish) and was hoping to add som rams for variety. Im thinking German rams and electric blue rams. any advice on how many i could ad to the tank. I was thinking 4 of each as the tank is heavily planted and there should be enough territory to go round. any advice is much appreciated.

1 discus per 7 gallons is ideal. And 1 ram per 10 gallons is preferred. Also, male rams don't really like each other. It's a 4' tank? 122 cm? A pair of rams, m/f, of each would prob work better. But with cichlids, and spawning, all bets are off. I keep lots of cichlids, and sometimes combos work and sometimes they don't. I've said many times, with cichlids, it's always good to have a backup plan.

Cheers for the reply. the tank is 5 ft /150 cm/ 400 l. so i guess one pair of Germans and one pair of E.Blues ? I heard that Rams are aggressive towards their own kind (males) but i wasn't sure if this is still the case if i have 2 different strains.

I think you get away with a handful of each in that size tank. Problem with pairs, when they breed they get territorial and discus being dainty bottom feeders will probably get harrassed more than youd like to see. Discuss are the stars of the tank and what you're going to spend on them may deter you from adding unneeded stress to the tank.

Ok. So what if i go 4 of each? I have a smaller 20 gallon that i could use as an isolation tank if there are 2 that want breed? In terms of bio load that might be too much. The fish ill have in the tank are 6 discus. 20 to 30 cardinals and some yoyo loaches. (If they are ok in the heat. Will have to double check). So im thinking 8 more rams might be ok. Will be using 2 canister filters and already have a crap load of plants that are grown and multiplying nicely

Ok. So what if i go 4 of each? I have a smaller 20 gallon that i could use as an isolation tank if there are 2 that want breed? In terms of bio load that might be too much. The fish ill have in the tank are 6 discus. 20 to 30 cardinals and some yoyo loaches. (If they are ok in the heat. Will have to double check). So im thinking 8 more rams might be ok. Will be using 2 canister filters and already have a crap load of plants that are grown and multiplying nicely
Yeah, try it. You never know with discus. My discus eat from the top more than the bottom. Rams swim all over. If it's not working out you can rehome some of the rams. They are easy to get rid of because ppl like them. Like I said, with cichlids, you just never know and have a back up plan. It might work out fine for you

Back
Top Bottom