Discus + Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My school has a 30 gallon tank with guppies, neons, mollies, silver dollars, glass catfish, and a male betta...
Argh! They make me so angry!
Haha I'm practically the school nerd and the amount of tines iv gone in there and told them better shouldn't be with guppies -.- poor guppies almost have no fins!!

Anyways they have an angelfish in there but then it started eating the neons so they put a separator in there...
The angel fish only has room to go backwards and forwards up ad down.. It doesn't even have room to turn around and the water quality is extremely poor.
I am going to be starting a discus tank soon and I know that angelfish carry parasites that discus are prone to but I feel bad for this little guy :(
I'm going to pick up two 30 gallon tanks today and I was hoping maybe I could put him on there for a while with doing water changes since I don't have a filter ready :/

Help me!? :( I feel so bad for this little guy

So should I get it now and do water changes or wait till my ammonium chloride arrives and cycle the tank

I wouldn't put angelfish with discus. Also, I hope one of the 30s isn't for the discus.

Yep lol I have a 67 gallon for discus and have now a 30 gallon either for pairing or quarentine. Might get another 30 though so I have one for each lol

If I keep the angelfish in a quarantine tank for a while and keep it nice and healthy and then keep my water perfect in my bigger tank (which I will do for my discus) then it should stay healthy along with my discus lol ?

I literally don't (and never have) done anything special for my discus, idk why ppl say they're so difficult. They've never had a disease, never had conflict, and I know I'm going to catch criticism for this, but I've never quarantined a fish either. A long long time ago I did have some fin and tail rot on a couple angels but it never spread to other fish and I treated it quickly and successfully. Never had a single problem before or since.

Lol well Ill be doing like two water changes a week so my discus, angelfish(maybe) ahha and bettas are healthy lol

I would feel sorry for the lone angelfish though so I would probably get it a friend haha
don't know how they would be with my discus when theyre breeding or if I manage to get a male and female angelfish and they breed I don't want them to hurt or scare my discus :/

My fish lay eggs all the time. Not a big deal. The angels Chase the other fish away but never actually hurt them.

Cool so I might ask for the fish today and maybe get it sometime after school haha I'll put it in my 30 gallon for a bit with water changes :) haha first fish ever that isn't a fighting fish in our house

paytertot said:
My fish lay eggs all the time. Not a big deal. The angels Chase the other fish away but never actually hurt them.

I've had angels that do that too, but I've also had some big ones that obliterated their tankmates. As far as the qt thing goes, a good lfs lowers the odds of an iincident greatly, but its still a good practice because you never know.

jetajockey said:
I've had angels that do that too, but I've also had some big ones that obliterated their tankmates. As far as the qt thing goes, a good lfs lowers the odds of an iincident greatly, but its still a good practice because you never know.

Yea I wasn't saying not to qt, just that I don't. I don't have a qt tank.

I think it's best for me to qt it because of the conditions its in now...
They hardly ever do water changes and the tank is extremely over stocked -.-'

They have a stocking like this :/
20 guppies
10 balloon mollies
10 feeder fish
5 class catfish
2 silver dollars
1 male betta
And more all in a less then 30 gallon tank -.-
It makes me so angry :mad:

And the reason the angel is seperated is because it was eating the feeders -.-

Back