Discus with angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuvac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

I recently got myself a 29 gallon tank, and I currently have 3 angelfish in there along with some smaller species like tetras and guppies. But as I have relatively few fish in the tank, I thought there'd be room for 2 discus.

Online I read a lot of contradicting stuff so would like to hear from you guys.
First of all, some say discus can't be with angelfish. Others say it's no problem.
Second, some say 2 discus will do fine, others say you need at least 6.
Third, some say you need at least 75 gallons, others say even 20 gallons would suffice.
Fourth, some say the discus should at least be the size of the angels to 'defend' themselves, others say even the smallest of discus will do fine after some hiding.

I appreciate all input
Cuvac

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well.. I've not any practical experience with discus but I can tell you this.
55 gal min.
Groups of 5+ minimum
Species only tank is best
That 29 will be fine for the angels but I would highly reccomend forgoing the addition of discus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

55 gal min.
Groups of 5+ minimum
That 29 will be fine for the angels but I would highly reccomend forgoing the addition of discus.

Ten years of practical experience and Brookster is pretty right on. Angels with Discus is hit or miss. It all depends on the Angels demeanor. I've done it with and without issues in the past. DEFINITELY do best in groups of 5+ and at least a 55g. The ONLY time tank size or # of fish less than 55g/5 fish is ok is when QT/HT or breeding purposes. Mixing a small group of something like tetras is often practiced and acceptable. Just would not recommend neons.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

To me discus in a 55 look too cramped. Yeah they've got room to stretch out and stuff but they've got little to no width when they're older. Being a fish that prefer footprint over height (which the 55 does not offer) it would lead me to believe a 75 gallon would be best no?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

first off, the reason people say they can't mix is angels carry some diseases that can kill discus.
second Angels like temps around 80F while discus like it around 84-86F
also, discus are cichlids and you need to keep them in a minimum of 4. i wouldnt keep discus in a 55 unless it was only discus

first off, the reason people say they can't mix is angels carry some diseases that can kill discus.
second Angels like temps around 80F while discus like it around 84-86F
also, discus are cichlids and you need to keep them in a minimum of 4. i wouldnt keep discus in a 55 unless it was only discus

Angels and discus are generally prone to similar diseases, such as true hole in the head.

Angels are cichlids too, not sure what was meant by "discus are cichlids"...

And the main reason I've always heard is the gluttony of angels, and aggression when they pair and spawn

Angels and discus are generally prone to similar diseases, such as true hole in the head.

Angels are cichlids too, not sure what was meant by "discus are cichlids"...

And the main reason I've always heard is the gluttony of angels, and aggression when they pair and spawn

Owning a pair of angels I can agree that when angels eat their nightly dinner they do not wish to savor it or eat slow. They're pigs.
Discus (I would imagine) would have trouble competing with Angels for their proper nutrients.

55 gal min.
Groups of 5+ minimum

I must agree with Brookster here. 29 gal is far too small for both Discus & Angelfish. I would also advise against adding discus. If you had a 100+ gallon tank then maybe they'd have enough space, but even then its a crap shoot.

I wouldn't do three angels in a 29. That will be a snug fit for one or two adults.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know Angels are Cichlids too.. I'm just trying to make a point that if you kept 2 discus they would fight and one would end up dying because it couldn't compete for food. from personal experience discus are even more social then Angels and I wouldn't keep discus unless it was a species only tank to start.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422409525.179816.jpg
I attached a photo of my discus family..I bought them about 8 months ago at 1-2" and grew them out
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422409583.189565.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422409595.613735.jpg

I know Angels are Cichlids too.. I'm just trying to make a point that if you kept 2 discus they would fight and one would end up dying because it couldn't compete for food. from personal experience discus are even more social then Angels and I wouldn't keep discus unless it was a species only tank to start.
View attachment 262502
I attached a photo of my discus family..I bought them about 8 months ago at 1-2" and grew them out
View attachment 262503View attachment 262504

Awesome!!!

Ok so I drank to much wine lol.

Wine... i pegged you for a whiskey man..not that I have anything real to base that off.. maybe just the captain Spalding avatar.. captain Spalding would not drink wine.. unless it was white wine stained red by the blood of......

Wine... i pegged you for a whiskey man..not that I have anything real to base that off.. maybe just the captain Spalding avatar.. captain Spalding would not drink wine.. unless it was white wine stained red by the blood of......

You know there's a joke going around the marching bands near us that our shakos and plumes are stained red with the blood of our enemies. Heheh. band jokes......sorry...... carry on........

I decided to also take this question to some people in my surroundings and two fish stores in my area.
They told me that adding discus was fine with my current stock, and they said adding them wouldn't overstock my tank either.
Foreseeing an average of 6 gallons per 'bigger' fish is okay (2 discus and 3 angels in 29 gallon), I was told. The smaller species, like my tetras and guppies, shouldn't matter in deciding my stock of discus and angels.
Besides I was also told that my tank isn't cluttered with plants, which allows me to go below the average of 10 gallons per fish rule.

So that's why I went ahead and added two discus in my tank.

I decided to also take this question to some people in my surroundings and two fish stores in my area.

They told me that adding discus was fine with my current stock, and they said adding them wouldn't overstock my tank either.

Foreseeing an average of 6 gallons per 'bigger' fish is okay (2 discus and 3 angels in 29 gallon), I was told. The smaller species, like my tetras and guppies, shouldn't matter in deciding my stock of discus and angels.

Besides I was also told that my tank isn't cluttered with plants, which allows me to go below the average of 10 gallons per fish rule.

So that's why I went ahead and added two discus in my tank.

Lfs will tell you what ever you want to hear 99% of the time to make a sale. I'd trust the advice you've been given here by knowledgable fish keepers

Back
Top Bottom