Do any live plants work on an African cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just depends on the type of fish and where they come from. Most kribs are kept in planted tanks.. while most mbuna destroy plants... but some dont...

Giant onion has worked well for me.

IME fish eating plants has a lot to do with what they are fed. The idea is that if they get everything they need from the food they don't have a craving for the plants. I have had a lot fewer problems with it since all my tanks and my clients' tanks are fed New Life Spectrum exclusively. It doesn't mean they definitely will work, but IME you have a better chance.

Thanks! Based on a lot of posts here I will be switching to NLS for my guys. Is it readily available in pet stores or order online?

I have found that nana petite works in my tank with my cichlids, only two nibbles out of the whole plant...I don't think they like the taste!

I have about 20 Italian valisneria in my tank and it seems they pick which plants they will leave alone. It grows quick enough if I see a big leaf floating I'm not worried. (actually more like wrapped around my powerhead)

CraigMac said:
Thanks! Based on a lot of posts here I will be switching to NLS for my guys. Is it readily available in pet stores or order online?

I like hikari. Its cheaper.

Ok, this shows how much of a newbie I am! Is hikari a type of food or a plant?!!!!

CraigMac said:
Ok, this shows how much of a newbie I am! Is hikari a type of food or a plant?!!!!

Hikari is food,lol...in the case of feeding Africans I use New Life Spectrum&Cobalt Cichlid flakes...

I believe Anubia is extremely distasteful, a natural defense mechanism. It's one of the only fish-safe plants.

I have new ones in my cichlid tank, they took a chomp... Spit it out real fast, lol.

I had gone out and bought 5 real nice anubias but within a month my cichlids came through like lumberjacks and slowly chomped down the bases leaf by leaf.

img_1712451_0_3254a758a83605c2281cc451077c5588.jpg

Back
Top Bottom