dovii cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warfish123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a 3-4 inch dovii in my display tank he's in there with a Oscar and a bichir and a few plecos....to make a long story short he recently started attacking one of my plecos dodoesn't do it all the time only when the plecos is eating it's wafers or when it's grazing on the plants. Is it normal for them to be this aggressive when it come to food they don't even eat?

So I have a 3-4 inch dovii in my display tank he's in there with a Oscar and a bichir and a few plecos....to make a long story short he recently started attacking one of my plecos dodoesn't do it all the time only when the plecos is eating it's wafers or when it's grazing on the plants. Is it normal for them to be this aggressive when it come to food they don't even eat?

Very normal and typical dovii behavior. Doviis are super agressive cichlids, you could almost say as ravaging as a convict pair. They will attack whatever they want if they feel the need to. If he feels that the pleco's food is his, he will fight off the pleco. Ive heard stories of these fish actually killing a whole tank. Keep an eye on him :)

55 Gallon- Empty
125 Gallon- CKF and Tiger Oscar
220 Gallon- To come...

Just to make sure, you know that dovii get 18"+ and are one lot the most aggressive cichlid species on earth, right? Nothing in parachromis will do very well in a "community" aggressive tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just to make sure, you know that dovii get 18"+ and are one lot the most aggressive cichlid species on earth, right? Nothing in parachromis will do very well in a "community" aggressive tank

+1 this fish will sooner or later swallow whole your tank.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

He just started the behavior about 2 weeks ago doesn't mess with anything g else but that one pleco

He just started the behavior about 2 weeks ago doesn't mess with anything g else but that one pleco

He is still a juvenile, this temperament is gonna get worst unfortunately especially in predominant males.

55 Gallon- Empty
220 Gallon- To come...

That's going to be a big brutal cichlid that will claim territory outside the tank. Watch your fingers.

I wish I took a picture of the pair at my lfs, the male was the size of a NFL football...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He will kill the entire tank eventually and have it all to himself. Not if, but when. It will happen. You also need a large tank in the 180 gallon range for just him if it's a male. And as said he will claim territory around the tank as well and be offended by you coming close. He will show his appreciation of you feeding him regularly by bitting your hand and not letting you close to the tank. I've seen people need stitches from being bitten. These are a large vicious fish that require proper care and handling. They are also stunning to look at.

180? You'll need allot bigger tank than that for the long term health of the fish. 240 + is a good place to start, they are also super sensitive to poor water quality. A well cared for adult pair is a sight to see.

Back
Top Bottom