Electric blue Jack dempsey Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Njbaby84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What some one please tell me about the fish? I need to now how big they get what's there max size tank? I've done research on them but it has left me still in the air. I hear that jack Dempsey are pretty big that you would have to put them in a 55, for the electric blue Dempsey I hear that they are smaller and can go in a 30 gallon. Can't someone please school me? Next question what other fish can do in there.

Electric blue jack dempseys get just as big as the regular ones, they are just a color variant. They do tend to be more reserved, mine is very timid except during spawning.

I wouldn't put one in a 30, but I do keep mine in a 40b. I keep mine with a female and don't keep any tankmates usually, but recently added a pair of siamese algae eaters whose tank I tore down.

Njbaby84 said:
What some one please tell me about the fish? I need to now how big they get what's there max size tank? I've done research on them but it has left me still in the air. I hear that jack Dempsey are pretty big that you would have to put them in a 55, for the electric blue Dempsey I hear that they are smaller and can go in a 30 gallon. Can't someone please school me? Next question what other fish can do in there.

Jeta covered most of the things I would say. I'd also mention they have a reputation of being susceptible to parasites and it's not uncommon for them to die small. I purchased two last year and already had to treat for parasites. I lost one already.

I personally probably wouldn't bother with them again. Between the problems and the fact that they look African and stick out like a sore thumb in my SA/CA tank, I no longer see the upside.

Njbaby84 said:

There are two sites to visit. Allthingsdempsey and Bluejax will give you load of information. Maximum size will vary. I have a 5 year old male who is only 8 inches. A good size tank would be a 75 gallon. I have kept blues with many different Centrals. Convicts, Texas, nics, vieja, cubans to name a few. I have had good success with the blues I raised. Some blood lines are better so you do take a risk in purchasing them. They like clean water, high protein food , and clean water. Water changes are a must.

Thank you so much for the info. I have one more question can they go with convicts??

Back
Top Bottom