electric yellow lab experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've seen some yellow labs (the malawi cichlid, not the dog) in the lfs and was wondering about them. They are surley beautiful fish. Can anyone give me "the good and the bad" about about them?

Yellow labs are very attractive fish. I currently have 4 in the 150 gal tank. They are peaceful, graceful, and love to play in the sand. I don't know of any bad things about them so I can't help you out with that. I personally love mine.

Yellow labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) are one of the most versatile and adaptable of the Malwian mbuna. When kept with other Africans they are fairly docile but can be considered aggressive when compared to non-Africans. They are omnivores and will eat other small fish. All-in-all they're one of the best looking and easiest to keep of the mbuna :)

How do they mix with non-cichlids in a community aquarium? Are there certain fish they won't mix with? Every time I see something on them it says they should be in a mbuna or Lake Malawi type community. I see yours are in a Lake Malawi community.

Travis, I think we were posting at the same time. My response was to Fishy. I appreciate the info. I'd like more specifics though. If kept with non-cichlids of similar size and temperment, would yellow labs still be too aggressive?

I've never kept them in a community tank before so I'm probably not the best person to ask. They do require fairly hard water (dKH 12+) to thrive so you would want to keep them with other fish that can tolerate those sorts of conditions. You'll also want to make sure that the other fish are not small enough (e.g. guppies and the like) to be eaten. You're probably best off keeping them in an African cichlid-only tank.

Our tap water is like liquid rock so we don't have a choice on hard water.

I wouldn't put them in a community environment with non-Africans. I've witnessed them being the most docile of Africans in our tank, but I just wouldn't trust putting them in a tank full of Tetra's or guppies.

One of the reasons of not mixing Non-Africans with Africans is the water requirements. Africans prefer a higher pH and harder water. Most community fish prefer a lower pH and softer water. Also, Africans personalities varies with each fish. You could get a terror of a yellow lab that would go after all of the other fish, but then you could get a peaceful fish that gets picked on by the guppies. The latter is rare, but could happen. Again, I would only put Africans with other Africans.

Electric yellows are one of my favorites as well. Take into account that of all my cichlids the yellows labs breed the most. Have a small tank set up if you want these fish as they will breed. I started out with 4 and now have over 20 with more on the way. As stated above they are peaceful and I imagine that if you found some medium sized community fish that need the same kind of water parameters you could make a lovely tank. I have a pink gourami that cannot be kept with any of my community fish especially angel fish, but he does fine with my cichlids (NOT RECOMMENDED). But I would think gourami's and yellows would do ok together. Good luck let us know what you decide.

Hmmmm. Something to think about. Thanks. I'd love to keep a yellow lab with some other fish. I may try one and keep an eye on it and take it back if things get tense.

Anyone got any experiences with these and peacocks? Am very tempted to buy some and mix them together. =)

I have a pretty big tank. 140 Gallons. however my peacocks are still pretty small. Should I wait for my peacocks to get bigger first or should I be fine adding some of these guys in with them. I like the Electric Yellow Labs. Plus they'd make the tank even more colorful! Btw, what other kinds of fish you got in that tank besides Mbunas and peacocks?

Thanks

I have the list of fish in the tank in my profile. It's pretty long so I'd rather not list them all. :D Plus, sometimes I forget all the ones we have.

I would have the labs larger than the peacocks. It has been said that Peacocks are more aggressive than Mbuna, but mine are pretty much equal. But I added them around the same sizes.

MtgVo,
yellow labs would definitely go with peacocks, especially in a 140g tank (you could start with 10+). it'll make a spectacular display. just make sure the tank's cylced before you put them together (yes, do put all of them in there together).

dax29,
i would not try keeping a single yellow with other community fish. the probability of it hiding away or being over-aggressive is pretty high. and believe me, these guys can move really fast. and that would stress out the more peaceful fish like gouramis.
but you could give it a try and let us know how it turned out.

dax29 said:
Hmmmm. Something to think about. Thanks. I'd love to keep a yellow lab with some other fish. I may try one and keep an eye on it and take it back if things get tense.

You can keep yellow labs with semi-aggressive, active fish like tiger barbs.

It is generally not recommended to mix Africans with non-Africans due to water and dietary requirements.

(Note, this thread is over a year old)

Mbuna

You can try putting them in a community tank. Good chance they will beat up on your fish. I wouldn't do it. If you like these fish you can keep 3 of them in a little 20x12 tank. Most people will tell you to keep 1 male and 2 females. My advice is to keep 1 large male, 1 small male and 1+ med female. The dominant male will dispaly really bright color, while the smaller male and med females will be less colorful and hide in the rocks. You must arrange rocks with holes only the small fish can fit in. A 36x18 inch tank can house 2 species of mbuna. 48x18 3 or more species. If a new fish is getting beat up, just turn off the lights and cover the tank so it's dark. When you get a chance, rearange rocks and if that don't work you may have to remove the fish.

Back
Top Bottom