Extreme fertility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tandanus

Aquarium Advice Freak
My pair of Thorichthys maculipinnus are at it again! They spawned on the 10th July and the fry were free-swimming on the 14th. Early hours this morning they have spawned yet again. They are still caring for their 9 day old fry. I was totally amazed! Anyone else had this experience?

Yes this is somewhat common but is not very healthy for the female in my opinion, I'd personally separate them with a divider for at least a 3-4 weeks. Don't remove her from his tank just add a divider as this shouldn't effect the pairs bond.

Thanks Hukit, Yeah, I didn't think of it that way at all. It must take a lot out of her. To begin with the male was carrying on shaking and shimmying by his favourite spawn site and I thought... you've got high hopes! Then she joined in and next thing.... She looks beautiful regardless, colours are astonishing. Do you think I should leave the eggs?

I would leave the eggs at this time as removing them will only upset the pair. Yes spawning does take a toll on the females health and growth rate. I would prevent them from spawning for 4-5 weeks to allow the female some alone time to eat.

Thanks again. I will definitely separate them. I really love these guys. Their colours are stunning and they are very friendly. And another plus is they don't try to kill me when I maintenance their tank ;)

Back
Top Bottom