Feeding a mixed tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisa67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As I just mentioned in another thread, I have a tank of mbuna mixed with two frontosa. I know that this is a bad set up, but I let the pet store guy convince me that it is ok... I'm regretting it because although everyone is getting along great so far, I am causing myself stress.

My only issue so far is feeding... I know that frontosa like bryne shrimp which I've read can be harmful to mbuna. I've been feeding the entire tank "new life spectrum cichlid formula" sinking pelets which are probably not what the frontosa need. (Infact, I just read that it may not even be what my mbuna need as these pelets may be made for American cichlids). I need serious help figuring out what I'm doing as far as feeding these guys.

I was thinking that Maybe I should continue feeding the pellets daily (as long as they are safe) and then suppliment with bryne shrimp twice/week.
Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

I think brine shrimp are ok for the mbuna. Bloodworms are what you want to stay away from for the Mbuna.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I have a tank of mbuna mixed with two frontosa. I know that this is a bad set up, but I let the pet store guy convince me that it is ok... I'm regretting it because although everyone is getting along great so far, I am causing myself stress.

My only issue so far is feeding... I know that frontosa like bryne shrimp which I've read can be harmful to mbuna. I've been feeding the entire tank "new life spectrum cichlid formula" sinking pelets which are probably not what the frontosa need. (Infact, I just read that it may not even be what my mbuna need as these pelets may be made for American cichlids). I need serious help figuring out what I'm doing as far as feeding these guys.

I was thinking that Maybe I should continue feeding the pellets daily (as long as they are safe) and then suppliment with bryne shrimp twice/week.
Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
If you read the list of ingredients on the various NLS there are only slight differences between them. Things like higher protein in the NLS Grow than in the others. So feeding the NLS Cichlid formula to your Mbunas is great. My Mbunas have been eating NLS exclusively for months and they are extremely healthy . In fact I only feed 2 days on 1 day off and it's enough for them. Being Cichlids they will eat as much as you give them, until they blow up. So skipping a day now and then is good for them. You should stay away from the extra protein of both Blood worms and shrimp. The added protein can give the Mbunas Malawi Bloat. The NLS is good enough that you don't need to add anything.
If you want the technical info on NLS ask fishguy2727 or it may be 7272 I'm dyslexic so I'm not sure unless I'm looking right at it, but I think it's the 2727. Anyway, he's the best person to ask about NLS.
Good luck with your Frontosa/Mbuna mix. I tried it with a couple of Opaline Gourami that I was told would be "just fine". And they were for a while, until the Mbunas reached adolescents, the age of mating. Then they almost harassed the Gourami to death. I gave them back to the FS to save their life.

I would skip the brine shrimp and just feed the tank NLS. As long at the fonts are eating it's all the nutrition they need. The only issue is can forsee with that mix is the frontosa is not a aggressive eater which means at feeding time the hyper aggressive mbuna will grab everything. This was my observation when I had a colonly.

Thank you for all of your very informative replies. Glad to hear I'm feeding them the right thing. Yes, the fronts are much less aggressive at feeding time, so my daughter and I do it together, one of us feeds the mbuna at the opposite end of where the fronts are and then the other drops some down to them..LOL. I also bought a divider so that I can occasionally give the frontosa some shrimp. My first attempt with the divider wasn't so successful though!

Back
Top Bottom