Feeding an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r6mason

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 3 1/2" Oscars Yesterday and they were not eating all day yesterday nor this morning. I call the pet store and they said that they had been feeding the same thing that I had bought. So I went to the pet store and bought 4 rosy red minnows and they ate them in like 2 min. GOOD. only question is how often should I feed them, Will they over eat if I put more fish in the tank next time, and what are some other food options. I bought the small cichlid pellets.

Thanks
Mason

1) Vary their diet...pellets, frozen foods, and some feeder minnows (no goldfish).

2) Feed them every 2nd day until they are not hungry, or half as much on a daily basis.

3) Make sure you do lots of water changes and have great filtration, as a pair of oscars will muck-up your water faster than you can imagine.

try and steer away from the feeders from fish shops..
tortois said it all..
i feed mine, pellets, kangaroo meat and soon ; guppies, which im breeding myself..
just make sure theres no fat in the meat coz they'll spit it out and it will clog up the system.

You can feed him pellets, beefheart, frozen plankton, krill, live crickets and nightcrawlers to name a few.

I would also stay away from feeder fish.

thank you all very much. They seem to be eating better. I think it was just the move from the pet store to the new big house. the LFS had about 20 4" oscars crammed into a 15 gal tank 8O They are starting to do the normal oscar beg for food deal.

Oh yeah can you ship me some roo meat???
:lol:

Thanks
Mason

haha, i would if i could, They go absolutly wild over it!!!
im suprised u can't get it over there, u'd think our prime minister would be smart enough to harness the countries natural recourse, and export it...
I buy it for $1.50 Aus per kilo steak from the local supermarket..
a kilo so far has lasted me a month, and theres still just under half left.

so how do you feed it to them?? I am new to this and have no idea it was this complicated. I thought you just throw flakes in the tank and they eat. boy was I wrong. I can probiably get lean cow meat and heart and things like this so do I cut it up in bite size chunks or do I put a big piece in there and let them nibble off a little at a time or what???

By the way my dad is in Sydney for 6 months for a business trip. He is thinking about moving there he absolutely loves it there.

Thanks
Mason

bite size chunks,hold it in my fingers and they jump to grap it
oh and Australia = Shangri La :p...
my barramundi won't touch it unless i move it around across the surface of the water...they're more savage then the oscars.

Back
Top Bottom