Few Cichlid Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeafsFan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been awhile since I have posted.

Happy New Year to all!

Questions:

Can I temporarily put a Pink Convict pair in a 10G to spawn? They are currently in a 180 but when they start to spawn (which has been often lately) they become super territorial. Their tank mates are 2 JD's and an Oscar, Pleco and a Clown Loach.

The only fish they do not care about coming near their territory is the clown loach.

There used to be more loaches but I lost them in an ich battle early in the tanks life.

Second question is, am I at max capacity for the 180? The clown loach will have a few others joining him soon as I am growing them out in a 60. Or I will be taking that one out and replacing with 2 Syno's that are in another tank once they hit a good size.

The tank has been running for 2 years now, and the only significant things to happen to it were an ich outbreak early on and a very aggressive Jag that got returned.

I look forward to hear some thoughts

Yes a 10g will be fine in a pinch. The only issue may be how rough the male is with the female as she'll have no where to hide. You could use a tank divider with a hole small enough that the female fits. Here is what I'm describing that I used to breed festae.

Your second question with regards to the capacity of the 180g I would say your pretty darn close. I wouldn't add any more cichlids but maybe schools of large bodies tetras or add more clown loaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the loaches in a 60. Waiting to get bigger. Or should they be fine art close to medium size? I never see anyone bothering the one that is in there.

Very cool setup there.

I caught some of the fry after a week with parents and put them in a breeder net in my 60. See how that goes. Both convicts are pretty well the same size. So a hole won't work.

Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had clown's in with some of the nastiest tempered cichlids and they never paid them any attention. This broad killed nearly cichlid but didn't even glance at the nine clowns...

27198-albums1492-picture36676.jpg

What type of cichlid is the pic? At first i thought it was a clown loach lol.

Not a fan of tetras any other recommendations? What about tiger barbs? Would their speed make them a safe bet or would they just be food at feeding time?

It's a female festae.

Tiger barbs would be fine depending on your oscar, all my attempts at keeping schooling fish with them proved pointless.

I've had clown's in with some of the nastiest tempered cichlids and they never paid them any attention. This broad killed nearly cichlid but didn't even glance at the nine clowns...

27198-albums1492-picture36676.jpg

That picture rocks!!!
Me a little jelly....:hide:

That fish is gorgeous.

Oscar doesn't seem to interested in anything in the tank. But i am probably gonna be cautious and stick with loaches.

Back
Top Bottom