Fighting Angels (with video)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic

Both my angels missed breakfast this morning because they were too busy fighting. Both of their breeding tubes are out, I think it's a male and female due to the size difference. They have not laid eggs yet, but have exhibited many breeding behaviors. Wondering if this fighting is normal or something I should be worried about.
When they're not fighting, they hang out right next to each other just like normal.

Awww...how cute! What you are seeing is a very common occurrence: "Honey??...No, not..."

Not everyone is ready at the same time but they should resolve this shortly. The other possibility, when you saw the breeding tubes, were they similar shaped? One should be a true tube, while the other should end with a cone shape.

One tube was definately larger than the others. As far as the shape... I think the smaller of the two is more cone shaped.

The video was taken this morning. I went out all afternoon and when I got home the aggression had stopped. Today was maintenance day, so I just got done with a pwc and now the fighting has started again. More fierce than this morning, too.

I turned off the lights a little early to give them a little more privacy, we'll see what happens!

Almost forgot... There's not any fin nipping going on, just chasing and mouth wrestling, but I noticed a couple tears on both of them. This normal?

I'm not so sure that tearing is a good sign...usually it's just nudging in the abdomen and mouth to mouth face offs. Keep your eye on them in that case, there may be a bit more to this relationship (two males).

The two in the vid are in a fully stocked 55gal community. I do 50% pwc's every saturday to keep nitrates below 20 (usually well below that) and my pH is 7.7. I started with 4 juvy's in this tank, these are the two that I kept when they paired off.

The aggression problem is still there... These two have been relentless in picking on each other. Seems to be getting more serious, too. They still hang out together most of the time, but it seems like they are always quarelling. No serious injuries yet... How long should I let them try to figure this out before I do something about it?

whats your GH KH, water temp, do you test for nitrate. how hard or soft is the water. do you have any water current in the tank.

I can understand your frustration because you have two issues to consider:

1. Removing the aggressive Angel - This could well become an established pair who can be fruitful and produce many successful spawns.

2. Leaving aggressive Angel in tank - Could very well be a male who knows the other one is also male. Under these circumstances, it could become a serious issue.

There is one activity that if displayed IMO is positive proof of opposite pairing. If one Angel literally spears the other from any great distance and continously pecks at the other angel afterward, you have two of the same sex (yes, even females will do this). Unfortunately, there is no quick solution. You will have to judge the level of aggression and make a decision based on your observations. Yes, Angels are a handful aren't they?

Yes, Angels are a handful aren't they?

No doubt! But a great learning tool. They're such a personable fish, they really give you the opportunity to "get to know them"...
I've seen the long distance spear once from these two, but immediately following a bout of chasing. Like I said, for the most part they still hang out together and just "bicker" a lot. I'm going to give it more time and see what happens. If they are the same sex maybe they will come to terms with it. They have gotten along together for almost a whole year, maybe this will pass. Bummer, though, I was really hoping these two would spawn :(

whats your GH KH, water temp, do you test for nitrate. how hard or soft is the water. do you have any water current in the tank.

GH:8, KH:6, 78 degrees, current from an xp2 spraybar on one side and an aquaclear 301 on low on the other side. I do full spectrum tests every four weeks unless I think there's a problem.

Back
Top Bottom