Filter for Cichlid Auarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcafish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wondering if someone can help me out? I recently set up a new malawi cichlid tank ( 36 gallon bow front ). The tank came with an Aqueon 30/200 filter. I called Aqueon to see if I should up grade to a more powerful filter. They told me not to go above the 50/250. If I go too powerful it will create a "toilet bowl effect" and not filter the water but just move it around. Any truth or experience with this?

FYI I have 3 fish in the tank at this point
1 Yellow peacock
1 living stoney
1 orange flash?
Thanks,
marcafish

That's a new one on me. I had a emperor 280 on a 10 gallon just for kicks ans other than the current being river strong it stayed filtered. Though I'm still learning myself.

Thanks, she said that because it was a bow front it had this "toilet bowl effect" I am just concerned that my cichlids are gonna make a big mess and the filter will not be able to handle more stock.

Well i guess it could make sense with a bow front since there's more width there but then again ive never heard of such a thing but if it becomes a problem you could get a power head and that'd fix it.

Just put enough obstacles in front of the outtake... My fry tank is kinda like a toilet being flushed lol but with something in front of the outtake its solved

Thanks great advice, I guess we can all agree that the Aqueon 30/200 is not enough filter for Malawi Cichlids?

Could work with not allot of fish and enough water changes. Also depends on wich media you put in it.

But then again are you keeping fish or are the fish keeping you lol

Wow, that is the question? LOL. It is a small tank for Cichlids, I was thinking 7-9 max even though I have been told I can do 12.

All depends on how big the fishies wil get. And what there needs are. Finding a good mix is the key to succes.

Do you have a photo of your tank?

I am working now, but I wanted to post one tonight. So far I am not a 100% sure whatI have to be honest with you. I was told : A Yellow Peacock, living stoney and a orange flash. When I looked them up online they did not look like what I had. I will post them tonight as well.

I just found out one of them is a Giraffe Cichlid, and they get BIG!!! The other looks like a yellow/orange lab and the last one looks like a light marble purple/blue.

Well I am think my stepfather might be inherting a new fish because I do not think my 36 gallon Bow Front would be a good spot for him

Back
Top Bottom