Someone is giving me 5 or 6 peacock cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacky12

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We are to meet at 11 in the Walmart parking lot. Her choice, fine with me. She says they belonged to her Mom & she doesn’t like African cichlids. I have two 90 G tanks, one cichlids/syno cats & the other mostly peacocks, including some lovely OBs. Each tank has ~ 20 fish. I will be adding them to the one without the cats.

I’m setting up a 10 G quarantine tank in my warm parrot room. I also have an empty 20 G. I’m thinking no heater as the room is ~75F, 24/7. I’m thinking no substrate for this temporary setup. Is that ok?

If I use a egg crate lid, would I need a air pump & bubbler? I do have these spares parts laying about, but prefer to keep things simple, unless it would affect their well being.

I am not sure I can ID all in this group & may post photos later.

:thanks:

Thanks!

All aquariums should have some substrate to stop the fish seeing their reflection on the bottom. You don't need a lot but there needs to be something over the bottom. You can have 1/4 to 1/2 inch of substrate for a quarantine tank.

All tanks should have aeration and a filter. It keeps the oxygen levels high and water moving, which helps fish feel more relaxed.

Depending on the size of the peacock cichlids, you might be better off using the 20 gallon tank instead of the 10g. The fish could be 3-4 inches long and will need some space.

You should add some caves to the tank so any that feel threatened can retreat into a cave.

The tank should have a picture on the back to help the fish feel more secure.

Thanks, Colin. Your expertise is much appreciated, as always.

I shall add sand & a background immediately. I have some cool stone patterned wallpaper that can easily be taped on.

I did add a cycled sponge filter with an air pump.

I added a skull hideout. The lab has taken up residence there already. I can add some PCV piping for more hiding spaces.

I generally don’t quarantine. How long should I?

Here’s some photos. Two are 2 strawberry peacocks, one OB, a lab, two little ones that are the offspring of the larger 4. One looks like a lab, but there’s only one lab in the group, so must be a hybrid. There’s a big pretty one with a blue head. I’ve seen similar fish offered online & can’t recall the name. There’s one with female grey striped coloration. The head has copper like hue. I will try to get better pics later. There’s another peach colored juvenile hiding out behind the filter.

The girl (very nice & around 20, tops) gave me some food & this Seachem product, brand new bottle. Never heard of it: Cichlid Trace. Says to add 5 ml weekly to 80 liters. I am not big on tank additives. I do 50% water changes weekly & keep the tank clean. Are you familiar with this product?

Attachments

• 242BFD02-1A59-43D3-8696-571275C39D14.jpg
    242BFD02-1A59-43D3-8696-571275C39D14.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 14
  • E81F19F4-E4C9-486F-B012-AC415ACFCEA8.jpg
    E81F19F4-E4C9-486F-B012-AC415ACFCEA8.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 14
  • B9D61D3C-C97F-45B8-8EB6-66633E67C725.jpg
    B9D61D3C-C97F-45B8-8EB6-66633E67C725.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 6B282786-B723-4DA8-805F-DEB4BD3A0637.jpg
    6B282786-B723-4DA8-805F-DEB4BD3A0637.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 13
I remedied the tank per your suggestions, Colin. Thanks again. Decided freshly washed sand would take too long to settle & wish I had set up the tank last night. So I borrowed gravel from another tank. Maybe the added BB will be of some use?

I think the big yellow guy with the blue face is a Yellow Peacock, Aulonocaro baenschi. A beauty! And such a clever common name, almost as good as my naming the gray cat Grey.

Attachments

• 66386121-72C1-41D2-B9E1-A938AF573497.jpg
    66386121-72C1-41D2-B9E1-A938AF573497.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 14
Wonder why the tag ich has been added to my post? I never used the word, never had a itchy fish. Ever.

Fish, shrimp, snails (and plants from tanks with fish in) should be quarantined for at least 2 (preferably 4) weeks. If they get sick during that time, the quarantine period starts after they have been treated and no longer have a disease.

Cichlid trace is usually trace elements to raise the KH and pH. Google the company's website for more info. Before you add cichlid trace or buffer, find out what the gH, KH and pH of your water supply is. If the pH is above 7.6 and GH is 300ppm or more, it doesn't need anything added to it for the Lake Malawi cichlids.

:fish1::hugs:Thank you, Aiken. I’ll pass the information along to the new fish. They were trembling & sobbing when I showed them the tag. We’re all settling down now.

Forgot the pH, barely above 7 & I stopped taking it. Forgot the KH as well. Like the pH, very stable & in the good range for the fish I have. I won’t be using this stuff.

Don't ever dose anything unless it is necessary. This is especially true with things that 'address ph'. Most people don't even understand how ph works and dump chemicals in.

End of the day, especially in winter months with furnaces running, pH levels will be lower as it goes through its normal fluctuations during the day. Just how it goes. If it is something of concern, the addition of a powerhead pointed towards the water surface can assist with CO exchange. If not an option, a small clip on fan blowing across the top of the tank can also accomplish similar goals.

When it comes to your QT tank, some PVC elbows might also be beneficial for your new cichlids. Very common practice from the saltwater world to provide hiding places when we need something that won't absorb heavy metals like rock will.

Learn many new things here everyday! Love it! Much appreciated.

Funny you mention PVC. I have a few elbows & some linear piping. Trying to think of a way to give them a wood grain texture before painting with safe acrylic. Not finding exactly what I want online, DIY. Wondering if a hot whatever could melt the surface & create linear depressions or if I could squirt on lines of safe silicone, flatten it down & paint. Something that would look ok & not take forever. I did spray paint some PVC green to make hides for the loaches & it’s functional but not very pretty.

Smear a thin layer of silicon on the pvc pipe and then roll it in sand or gravel. Or just leave it to grow algae on the outside of the pipe. Or tie some Java Fern, Bolbitis or Java Moss to the pipe.

hot dang! Brilliant! I even have some black aquarium silicone purchased for an aborted project. That would look cool rolled in sand or substrate. Never had any moss, but it would look super. Wondering if they make a realistic safe fake moss. Never did well with plants, be they aquatic or terrestrial.

Thanks for this super idea! Sure beats painting & grinding the piping.

OMG! That last post changed me from an Activist to a Freak!
Here in America Activists are cool & Freaks are freaks.
If I could I’d delete numerous posts & photos. Not like I have anything of value to impart to others.

I shudder to think what the next level is. lolololo

Back
Top Bottom