Fire mouths with babies!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Never knew this day would come but one of my fire mouth pairs are having babies!!! I spotted eggs this morning on a piece of driftwood and they are clear with a few white eggs here and there. I know absolutely nothing about breeding cichlids because I never focused on breeding. The male is guarding the eggs very aggressively and I'm not sure what my next step should be. There are other tank mates like a parrot and Severum and some fire mouths but nobody is messing with the couple! Please let me know what to do next. I greatly appreciate all of your help. Thanks so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What size tank? How big is everyone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size tank? How big is everyone?

Hey brookster! 75 gallon tall tank. Parrot is 6 inches across, Severum is 4 inches, fire mouth is a small 2 inch 8 inch pleco. And a 2 inch geo. nobody is bothering the two parents for now but they are flaring here and there. I'm thinking of buying one of those breeding cages to put in the tank cause my hospital tank is completely out of order right now. Thanks!!

If the pleco don't get to the eggs than the sev and other fm are going to light the fry up.. can you pull the eggs and hatch then out in another tank?

If the pleco don't get to the eggs than the sev and other fm are going to light the fry up.. can you pull the eggs and hatch then out in another tank?

I can but I don't want to risk moving them. I'm thinking I wait till they hatch and I have a breeder box ready for them to go in

Update! The eggs look flat now and more clear. Not sure if anybody picked on them at night.

Hey guys I know no one is answering but I realllllly need help now!!! The fry hatched and grew a bit and are free swimming. I don't know what to do. I have a breeder box ready for them but the parents won't let me touch the fry. I'm worried either the parents are going to eat them or even the other fish in the tank. Thanks so much in advance

So sorry was in the wrong area!!!

Back
Top Bottom