Fish Cycle Stalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paleogirlfl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok - I apologize in advance here. I have looked through pages of threads and can find nothing regarding my particular situation. Am I just being an impatient newbie?

I started my 49 gallon tank up to cycle on 9/8. Before the fish were added on 9/10 I added a bacterial supplement to kickstart the cycle. I did a preliminary water test to establish a baseline. This resulted in zeros of course, across the board (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia) and 8.0 for PH.

Again, the fish were added on 9/10 and I have seen NO change in the numbers. I would think there would at least be major fluctuation in ammonia. I had planned on doing frequent water changes because of the "non fish-less cycle" (admonish me now, I know) and am fully prepared to do this responsibly.

Has the cycle stalled, not started, what's going on? Am I just being impatient??

Substrate: PFS, River rock
Temp: 78-80F

Test Kit: API Freshwater Master Test Kit

PH: 8.0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: 0

Filters: Over the back - two filter slot AND sponge filter

Fish: 11 African Cichlids

Also did a filter "squeeze" from a friends established tank filter. My own filters (double over the back style) look ripe with growth.

Help!

If it was cycled you would have some nitrAtes, especially with 11 fish in there. The cycle will not stall with 11 fish in there. Do you have a liquid test kit? That is the best and most accurate. There is a good link in my signature about cycling with fish. Check it out and ask any questions you need to. We are here to help. BTW, welcome to AA!

Back
Top Bottom