Fx5 and 1 of my 110's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a thread but it was getting old figured I'd get more hits here. It was suggested my some members to still run the 110 even with the fx5 I thought about it and it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean if something went wrong with one ind have the other running. What are your thoughts on this? Now both sides of the tank are getting movement which I think is good. Plus I run 2 air stones. Or is the 110 over kill?

I was gonna do sponge and polishing pads in the 110 in the canister I have 2 and 3 with bio media and tray 1 with pre filter. And of course the sponges that surround all trays which it comes with.

I have a heavily overstocked African Cichlid tank with 3 catfish. 1 upside down and 2 Synodontis also have a African feather fin.

Your thoughts?

You know i like the idea,as thats what i run,and i use polish pads meant for a fluval 305,2 side by side,i just lay them on top of my sponge,also it creates more movement in the tank

Megacichlid said:
You know i like the idea,as thats what i run,and i use polish pads meant for a fluval 305,2 side by side,i just lay them on top of my sponge,also it creates more movement in the tank

Yeah I gotcha ;) I just set mine up the same way! Just looking for what others think. But as of right now I have the same set up as you do. Figured it's. OT gonna hurt it and TBH I like the water fall sound again. I kinda missed it when I took them off and just had the fx5. That water fall sound relaxes me. :)

I have an extra bag of bio media in a the mesh bag from AC can I use it in the AC? Or is that too much? Hate to waste it. I put all I could in the fx5 so I'd hate throw it out.

Sure i actually do 2 trays of bio balls in my fx5,its not a waste,really your just building a higher culture of good bacteria

Sure i actually do 2 trays of bio balls in my fx5,its not a waste,really your just building a higher culture of good bacteria

More bio media is never a bad thing, but for the fish load that's in there, the AC 110 isn't going to provide any benefit as the FX5 is more than capable of housing the colonies of bacteria that will sufficiently convert waste products. The bacteria which comprise the tank's biological filter will only colonize to the extent that is necessary and at some point, additional filtration is just overkill.

severum mama said:
More bio media is never a bad thing, but for the fish load that's in there, the AC 110 isn't going to provide any benefit as the FX5 is more than capable of housing the colonies of bacteria that will sufficiently convert waste products. The bacteria which comprise the tank's biological filter will only colonize to the extent that is necessary and at some point, additional filtration is just overkill.

Got it! So I'm just gonna keep it on there anyway as a back up just incase. Thank you for your in depth response! :)

The 110 is to house the micro pads,it will pick up quite a bit of small particles,and is very easy to clean by comparison to the one you would otherwise use in the fx5,and again the article i mentioned dose explain this pretty clearly

Back
Top Bottom