German Rams with Keyholes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon Greatwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a pair of German Blue Rams in a twenty-gallon tank, which I would like to begin using as a quarantine tank. I was thinking of relocating the rams to an existing thirty-gallon South American tank. The thirty currently contains two Keyhole Cichlids, five Rummy Nose Tetras, three Neon Tetras, four Panda Cories, and two Albino Cories. My concern is that there may be conflicts between the Rams and Keyholes. I intended to increase the number of "caves" in the thirty before introducing the Rams. I was just curious what every thought about this situation. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and time regarding this.

Welcome to AA, Devon Greatwolf!
I believe that mix has been done successfully by some members of AA. There is always the possibility the fish will not get along--especially if there is a breeding pair. Extra territories and decor will help. If there is a problem, just be prepared to separate them.
And if I am completely wrong--someone will correct me!

Menagerie said:
I believe that mix has been done successfully by some members of AA.

Yep, you're right as I am one of them. Difference is that I house them in a 75g, along with Angels and Bolivians. Having the additional hiding/territorial space could work. Be prepared to separate them quickly if it doesn't work out.

First off, thank you for all your input and advice, I found the discussion very enlightening. I will try to explain my situation a little better and outline what my intentions are in the following.

I currently have the 30-gallon tank previously mentioned. Unfortunately, my Keyholes are not M/F pair; I sadly lost my female a few months ago. It is heavily planted with artificial plants, contains one medium-large driftwood display, and several caves and crevices.

I also have a modestly planted (fake) 20 gallon which is currently housing my two Rams and 8 Rasbora Hets.

Then there is my “old-timers” tank. Naturally planted and laid out with fake décor. Contains 1 5+ inch Opaline Gourami named Blue; she has been with me since day one of my entrance into fish keeping (a little over 4 years now). I also have Killer, my 7 inch Red-Finned Rainbow Shark, and he’s been with me for approximately 2 years. These fish originally dwelled in my 55 gallon along with an eclectic mix of other community fish, many of which were transferred to my other 30 gall. They were removed from the 55 approximately 6 months ago due to a bacterial outbreak caused by decaying plant roots in my UGF. I no longer use UGF’s I use a combination of Tetra Whisper filters with charcoal and a “half-sized” Hagen AquaClear with dual sponges and BioMax (i.e. For my 30 Gall south American I use a Whisper 30 standard setup and an AquaClear rated for 10-20 gall no carbon double sponges and the supplied BioMax).

And finally I have my reset 55 gallon which is the new (approx. 8 weeks now) home to two Dwarf Gouramis and three Honey Flame Gouramis (bought four but one passed approx. 3 weeks ago; no visible cause of death; just became lethargic and passed; other fish seem fine).

The Plan

Leave the 30 South American tank alone for now. Transfer the 8 Rasbora Hets to the 55 gall with the Gouramis. Really would like to relocate the Rams so that I can use the 20 Gallon for a Quarantine tank. I also own 5 more twenty-gallon tanks, but as of now have no room for them. I plan on doing some remodeling in a few months to accommodate four of them in my dining room.

Sorry to ramble, but what few friends I have that keep fish got started due to me (my Panda Cories and Rams breed like rabbits) and they know even less than I do. It’s just nice to prattle on to people who can shed insight into this wonderful endeavor of fish keeping.

Not to get off topic but for the last 20 years I raised various reptiles. After getting bit too many times, I needed something more docile. Fish seemed like a nice choice, my mother had several Angel tanks when I was young and I had fond memories of watching them for hours at her side. Therefore, if you have any questions regarding reptiles (any type) just let me know. In addition, I have bred many various breeds of K-9.

Thank you all once again for your time and advice; and for listening to my rambling. May peace eternally be with you all.

my Panda Cories and Rams breed like rabbits
Congratulations!
I plan on doing some remodeling in a few months to accommodate four of them in my dining room.
Wow--you have come to the right place!

If the keyholes are both male, there may be trouble, or there may not be. Fish are funny that way! It sounds like you have the ground work done to have many lovely, healthy tanks.

Menagerie,

First off, I would like to thank you for your time.

Actually, the Pandas are quite worrisome with all the new arrivals at times (recently gave away 12 juvies and 4 adults due to over crowding). With the rams, unfortunately they have laid 5 times in app. 18mnths with only one clutch hatching. only to become rasbora snacks and victims of my inexperience with fry(hence the totally of six 20 gallons, one on my bar for omni directional viewing, one going in my home office, and the four in the dining room/kitchen for QT, breeding/nursery, Juvies and the hopefully not needed hospital tank. Looked at your pic gallery and must say it looks like you have a great "family". Kind of makes me miss my reptile collection, but I’m slowly building me a new piscine pack with all my little fishy buds.

Please se the following discussion and feel free to comment. After twenty years of handling, what many would call dangerous reptiles I learned that one can never be too informed of the critters with which they surround themselves.

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=45277&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Once again, thank you for your time and comments, may peace forever be with you.

Hi Devon.

I noticed your from "Map Dot" TN. I'm also from there-- right between Knoxville and Chattanooga.;)

Greetings Voodoo,

I have done much work just south of your locale in Cleveland... Beautiful area. I love to visit the hills and mountains of east TN to recharge the batteries. My map dot is app. 30 miles west of Nashvegas along I-40. Exit 182 and south about 5 miles. I have moved out of state several times but always have to come back to TN. Usually start to miss the fact that we can see all the seasons... in a matter of a week ;-). Hope to here more from you. May peace and prosperity be your constant companions.

Ah, the ever-expanding beast that is Nashville. I spent about six years in Murfreesboro while getting my degree at MTSU. I expect to see this part of the state becoming a suburb of Nashville at some point in the next 20 years. ;)

You ever go to the Aquatic Critter? That was my fish shop while I lived out there.

The Critter and I are old friends... As I earlier stated I raised large reptiles for about 20 years and the critter new me well. Sadly the drive from the critter to my house is quite excessive. I do buisness with Fins of Franklin... I do not know exactly how, but they are somewhat tied to the Critter. How long has it been since you were last at the critter, I was like furniture in the rep house from around 97-04. I could walk in and they would toss me the key and I gots to play with all the reps i could imagine. Use to freak them out the way i would "love" and pamper even the most "visciuos" of monitors and tegues. Was helping them clean tanks one day and had my hands full of very bity 1-2 foot long burm pythons. Thay said hold this. I said kind o busy. They said Ill sit it on your shoulder. I said fine then looked at what "it" was. I saw a very large tarantula. I woke up approximately 5 min later with everuyone standing over me. Once they knew I was ok they really had some fun at my expense. Just couldn't believe a grown man who would grab the biggest Cayman of means Black Throat monitor would faint cause of a spider on him... Great bunch o folks over there... need to go see them but know if I do i would soon be trading all my fish in drying out the tanks and be back getting bit daily by various reptiles... PEACE and GO BLUE RAIDERS>

I'm sure we did "run" into one another there; I lived in the 'boro from '96 to early '02.

I never kept reptiles but I always appreciated them. Always had to make a trip into the herp room, or down the sidewalk after they moved to the end of the shopping center. Loved the rhino iggies and the huge caiman "pool" they installed.

Great place to go cichlid shopping too; almost always had an obscure, rare, or hard-to-find cichlid in there.

Back
Top Bottom