Need advice for additions to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thedon42

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I currently have a 36 gallon bowfront that I've been running for about 3 years. I have had great success with my current fish but need advice on adding as the tank is looking kinda sparse. It is heavily planted and currently has:

4 panda cories
2 bronze cories
2 amano shrimp
12 neon tetras
1 Ballon Molly ( long story)

I had a neon blue Gourami who died about 6 months ago. I definitely will be adding another as I love them !

I am looking for other additions but don't want to upset the balance - I have had the cories for almost 4 years and the shrimp are over 2 years old. Yep they are LARGE AND IN CHARGE.

Ideas? Input ?

Thought of a Bolivian Ram but not sure with the shrimp/cories.

If it where me, i think you add your gourami and rams, add add a few more of the fish you already have. Maybe a couple more corys and 3 or 4 neons.

Be careful with the gourami in particular, the one you had presumably was raised in the tank, and grew up being used to its smaller tank mates. A new fish might not have the same temperament. Dont add an adult fish to give you the best chance of it settling in.

Good point with the Gourami. And yes my last one was raised in the tank and was quite mellow.

Do you see any issue with Rams and the Cory's?

A new gourami may attack his tank mates as he did not grow up with them, I had a similar experience, we got a gourami, put him in with our fish, and a week later, he nearly killed the angelfish. So be careful with him. You could get an angelfish, swordtail, tetras, etc. As long as it isnt substantially bigger than the current inhabitants, which is unlikely, as they are old, or its very agressive, you should be fine with just about any freshwater fish.

Thank you. Never considered an angelfish. I was under the impression that they prey on shrimp ?

I would add angelfish with shrimp with caution. If they are food sized they can easily get eaten. Amano shrimp may be ok, as they are a little larger, but its still a risk. Get a young angel and it may never see the shrimp as food.

Last edited:
Then definitely no angelfish. �� Although my shrimp are tough - I've seen them rear up and strike the big bronze cories to move them away from the food. Quite comical.

Good to hear, I love the look of the rams. Should I get a pair or one ?

I would add angelfish with shrimp with caution. If they are food sized they can easily get eaten. Amano shrimp may be ok, as they are a little larger, but its still a risk. Get a young angel and it may never see the shrimp as food.
Yes, thats a good idea

Back
Top Bottom