Getting tank ready for discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ansel Marrow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All of my fish are compatible with discus (if you think Im wrong read below and correct me please), and I have tons of driftwood and plants. I mean HEAVILY planted. I am going about this by taking 1/3rd of the water out and replacing it with RO water, while adding peat moss to a seperate filter unit. After 2 weeks of doing the above procedure 3 times, and it stablizes at about 6-6.4 Ill introduce the fish. Any precautions I should take to minimize stress and guarantee I dont lose the fish? I dont wanna be out 60 bucks for nothing (getting 2 x baby cobalt blue discus).

the tank is too small, a full grown angelfish and 2 blue gouramis and the rams is full enuff, plus you have 6 tetras, 3 rainbows a 3 danios, discus wont like the zippy danios and pushy gouramis.

e-cat has a point; a 37 gallon is a small tank for discus to begin with; with all those tankmates each discus will have less room. You might want to consider a larger tank in the very near future.

Also, be sure to QT them before adding them to an established tank!

Shame--you've obviously put a lot of thought into the tank. But e-cat is right... I would advise nothing smaller than a 90 gallon tank for discus. Discus do grow to 8 inches, after all!

Ditto to all the other responses. When you hear about other fish being compatible with discus, they mean adult discus. 2 baby discus will never get the food they need to grow with other fish in the tank. They feel secure in a school of 5 at the least. Less than that and they remain timid and waste away.

Ok thanks for the advice guys, Ill stick with the newbie fish for awhile till I get at least a 55 gallon or bigger.

Hey Alli, I picked up 2 red turqs Friday night. I'll post some pics this week :D

Back
Top Bottom