What should I add to my tank alongside my current neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ET318

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am currently looking to add some smaller fish to my 10 gallon tank. In the tank I currently have just 3 neon tetras and snails. There were more tetras originally but I recently lost power for a week in the middle of winter and now my school is too small. My current tank parameters are:

Size: 10 Gallons
Temperature: 74 F (23.3 C)
pH: ~7.1
Current stocking: 3 male neon tetras (~1 inch), countless small snails

The tank is also heavily planted with many that extend beyond the surface of the tank. It would take deliberate effort to overstock the tank.

tank right side up.jpg
I don't know why the picture is upside down

I have visited my local fish stores and narrowed down my options to a few species. They are as follows:

White Cloud Minnows
Emperor Tetras
Orange Von Rio Tetras
Galaxy Rasboras
Endlers (my local fish store only stocks males so breeding won't be an issue)
Oto Catfish (I have found very conflicting information on how many of these to get)

From this list I am hoping to find something that will be comfortable around my neon tetras (who are around an inch at the moment). I would also appreciate advice in regards to how many of these I should get. I've found some numbers online but it is always good to get second opinions. I am happy to provide more information if it is needed. This is the third place I have asked as I have gotten conflicting information from other forums, online research, and my local fish store.

Attachments

• IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 11
  • tank currently.jpg
    tank currently.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 9
I would add more Neons to get the school to 6-8 fish. From your list, the White cloud minnows would be the best fit. Again a school of 6-8 fish due to tank size. I would also add about 3 or 4 Otocynclus to help keep algae and biofilm down.
With this amount of fish, you should be good for stock. (y)

As for some of the other fish on your list, I would question the Emperor and Von Rio Tetras. I've found they do not do well in cooler temperatures. As for the endlers, they tend to be more at ease in water a bit harder than fish like the Neons like, so a bad mix.

Hope this helps. (y)

So 12-16 fish in 10 gallons won't be too much?

Sorry if I am accidentally spamming you. I am unfamiliar with this website.

So you suggest I get 3 more neon tetras and then 6 of the white cloud mountain minnows? I guess given the plants and such this won't lead to overstocking issues?

I may pass on the Otos for now just because I've heard they're quite hard to maintain and algae hasn't been a big issue for me. I also plan to get a bunch of ghost shrimp for a different tank I have and can use those for future algae issues if they arise.

Thanks for the feedback.

So you suggest I get 3 more neon tetras and then 6 of the white cloud mountain minnows? I guess given the plants and such this won't lead to overstocking issues?

I may pass on the Otos for now just because I've heard they're quite hard to maintain and algae hasn't been a big issue for me. I also plan to get a bunch of ghost shrimp for a different tank I have and can use those for future algae issues if they arise.

Thanks for the feedback.

You're talking about 12 fish that remain very small so they they do not produce a large bioload and you have enough plants to help keep the nitrate level down.
If it's been at least a week since the other Neons died, you'll want to add only one of the species at a time so that your biolgical filter bed has enough time to recoup from the additional fish.
As for the Otos, no problem not adding them if you have the shrimp.

In my well cycled 10 gal tank i have ......
* 5 Harlequin Rasboras,
* 12 Neon Tetras
* several Cherry Shrimp.
I change 2 gal weekly

Back
Top Bottom