Gravel or sand ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer sand because I have had one of my cichlids die from ingesting gravel. Just make sure to not get black beauty which is iron slag.

From what my research tells me pool filter silicate sand grade 20 is safe for fish. Comments?

I love sand, just a pain to clean sometimes.. There are nice gravels out there tho, theres a type of sand specifically made for african cichlids its a black and white sand made with finly groud coral and shells. If thats what your looking for

Jacobsal91 said:
I love sand, just a pain to clean sometimes.. There are nice gravels out there tho, theres a type of sand specifically made for african cichlids its a black and white sand made with finly groud coral and shells. If thats what your looking for

I'm wavering. The local mom and pop lfs were telling me that while pretty I will burn through impellers for my hang on back filters

Lonestarbandit said:
I'm wavering. The local mom and pop lfs were telling me that while pretty I will burn through impellers for my hang on back filters

Just put a sponge or piece of pantyhose over your filter intake tube. Also, if said intake tube is adjustable, raise it up.

I dod that to a brand new biowheel filter once... Learned my lesson.. Best way i learned is to just put it all in a bucket and put the hose in it to rinse it, Just let it overflow or a while because anything that is heavey enough to stay on the bottom is really all you want in your tank. Cleaning sand take a while doin it that way. Gravel you can just strain and vaccum but with sand its not that easy unfortunately... But it looks a lot better

image-511238693.jpg
Before

image-2144630814.jpg

After

Just to gove you an idea on what you moght like
Better. This is a 36 bowfront with african cichlids

We put sand in ours and our Africans really love it. Its beautiful and they love to dig and sift! The only downside is you can see every bit of waste, so you may become a little ocd about that. Not necessarily a bad thing. One thing though I learned the hard way is you have to rinse it ALOT before you put it in or your water will murk terribly. But it is so worth it. Good luck!

christine2012 said:
We put sand in ours and our Africans really love it. Its beautiful and they love to dig and sift! The only downside is you can see every bit of waste, so you may become a little ocd about that. Not necessarily a bad thing. One thing though I learned the hard way is you have to rinse it ALOT before you put it in or your water will murk terribly. But it is so worth it. Good luck!

Yeah i can see that getting annoying, I dont really have that problem because i only have 3 fish in mine at the moment, Didnt really feel like overstocking it gets messy, These guys have their territory and thats that.. But there is little waste on the sand bed and i can get away with water changes once every 2 weeks instead of one weeks. Its always clean!

I've done both before and the sand looks much nicer. The waste on top isn't very attractive, but if you have good movement, it will blow around and break up fairly quickly. I have a Powerhead on my big tank and the waste moves like a tumbleweed on the bottom and breaks up.

I personally recommend sand. I just can't get excited about gravel anymore.

5x5 said:
I've done both before and the sand looks much nicer. The waste on top isn't very attractive, but if you have good movement, it will blow around and break up fairly quickly. I have a Powerhead on my big tank and the waste moves like a tumbleweed on the bottom and breaks up.

I personally recommend sand. I just can't get excited about gravel anymore.

Yeah i got sooo sick of gravel, had it for soo long and now sand is honestly just the way to go for me!

Jacobsal91 said:
Yeah i got sooo sick of gravel, had it for soo long and now sand is honestly just the way to go for me!

Not to hijack, but "sick of it" in what way? The look of it, or the maintenance?

I assume he means the look. Sand doesn't really have the maintenance requirements of gravel, where debris gets trapped and needs to be vacuumed.

5x5 said:
I assume he means the look. Sand doesn't really have the maintenance requirements of gravel, where debris gets trapped and needs to be vacuumed.

Seriously, no vacuuming needed at all with sand? If that is the case, then that is a compelling reason in itself to go with sand (directed to the OP). Plus it really does look better, especially if you have rockwork.

With good water movement the debris will make its way into the filter without intervention. However if you see waste sitting on the sand, you can certainly apply the vacuum a few inches above it.

You have to sift your sand once in awhile. Certain gases get trapped under there and become toxic after so long. I have to vacuum a lot though because I use a spray bar and it doesn't create much current.

Back
Top Bottom