help identifying worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sesom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was vacuuming my sand today and say some white thread looking things floating around. They were kind of wiggling around, but I thought it was just from the swishes of water i was making by lifting the vacuum thingy up. However when the water stopped moving it kept wiggling and then when it dropped to the sand it burrowed in. Its to small to tell if its segmented or not but it looks very similar to a detritus worms. However, I did some research and it looks like detritus worms both dont really sink nor do they bury themselves into the sand. Any idea what they are? they are super skinny. I cant get a picture as this is from my laptop and I cant figure out how to get the app on my phone.

I was vacuuming my sand today and say some white thread looking things floating around. They were kind of wiggling around, but I thought it was just from the swishes of water i was making by lifting the vacuum thingy up. However when the water stopped moving it kept wiggling and then when it dropped to the sand it burrowed in. Its to small to tell if its segmented or not but it looks very similar to a detritus worms. However, I did some research and it looks like detritus worms both dont really sink nor do they bury themselves into the sand. Any idea what they are? they are super skinny. I cant get a picture as this is from my laptop and I cant figure out how to get the app on my phone.

Without a picture, it's hard to say just from your description. Is this a planted aquarium?
Did you see more than one or only the one?
Did you add anything new to the tank in the past week or so?
Do you have snails in the aquarium?

one sec ill figure out a way to get a picture. I haven't added anything new in the past while. It is a planted tank. The pants came from petsmart. They were the ones that are kept in the gel stuff at the bottom so they werent in water, but maybe the worms could still survive on them. As of right now there are 4 neocaridina shrimp in there thats it and there ont seem to be any problems with them.

better worm pic 2.jpg
better worm pic 1.jpg
hopefull these are better the first was very blurry. It might be hard to find as I only got one worm in the sucker thing but look around in the tube and you will see a squiggly white line

It looks like a detritus worm. There are few different nematode worms that fall under the category of Detritus Worm so the color may not be the defining "thing". If there is only the one, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd be checking for excess food on the tank floor which is why these worms start to show themselves. And Yes, they can live on the plant in the gel because there is moisture.
Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom